engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine

hello all people out there can anyone help me !! I have just come into a engine from a fellow and he tells me that it came out of a 34 studie coupe ...is there a way of confirming this and will it fit my 36 3a dictator?? The numbers are as follows on the side of the block..

189195-4
    p.7.24

thanks mike

These are probably casting numbers. There should be a machined flat area with a serial number stamped in it. That would identify the engine. Is it a six or eight cylinder?

Comment

it is a 6 cylinder the other #,s are 189328c p.9.10

Comment

That serial # falls into the range for 1942 Champion 170 c.i. There is a listing of 6 cylinder engine serial numbers on the S.D.C. home page, look under tech tips.

Comment

The engine number is STAMPED INTO the block and not raised numerals. It is found on the left (drivers) side above the distributor. It would have a prefix "D" followed by five or six digits. Judging by the numbers you have provided I can tell you that the engine you have is either a late 1936 or an early 1937. If the engine number following the letter "D" starts with a 6 it is a '36, if it stars with a 1 it is a '37. In any event it is not a '34 or a '39 engine and it will fit into your '36 Dictator.

Richard Quinn
          editor: Antique Studebaker Review
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

thank you one last question the new # i have found is now

D123297 I believe the 1 is a 1 or maybe an I not sure i have been told the letters of the studie motors are hard to identify some times...

thanks mike

Comment

I need to know what year it is so I can get parts for it.

Comment

Studebaker notoriously used the letter I as numeral 1. That said, what Richard has posted would seem to indicate you have a '37 engine.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                X