Well, Guess The Cat's Out Of The Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, Guess The Cat's Out Of The Bag

It seems like you can't take a peak at a possible new family Studebaker without SOMEONE deciding to share the news.

Yes, we are looking at a Studebaker this weekend! After a few other local leads didn't pan out, we talked to the owner of the '57 Commander Provincial (El Paso, TX) that was recently on eBay. The car looks and is decribed as being very solid and rust free, and apparently runs well. The work that needs to be done on it appears to be within our limitations. The deal was that if the car didn't sell on eBay, the owner was open to us checking the car out in person and working out a deal if we liked it.

So...as of late this afternoon...John is on his way to El Paso with his friend, Scott (we couldn't make it a family trip since Tracy is watching the grandbabies while John's daughter checks out her wedding location). If the car is what we hope it is and the deal goes through, he'll be driving back tomorrow with our new Studebaker.

For those who may be a little confused as to the choice of vehicles...Tracy has always loved 50's cars (two-toned and tacky tends to be her style) and John is partial to wagons (don't know where he gets that), so this may just be the perfect combination for our family. If all else fails, John gets out of babysitting and comes back hung-over from a night in Juarez...

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

While I love El Paso, be carefull in Juarez, it is not the sleepy little laid back place it used to be. It can be quite dangerous.

Comment

That will be GREAT Tracy! If that happens, you two will become still another Family member of the fast growing '57-'58 Sedan/Wagon CLAN!

Then StudeDave57 will have another car to list on his '57-'58 Sedan/Wagon (NO C or K) Registry! [^]

I think one of the reasons for the big surge in sales/restoration of these formerly not as desirable Sedan types, is the ever increasing cost of the more popular C or K Models. OPPS, I am not sure that StudeDave57 wants the world to know that, after all we have SIX of them in our family, Eight if you count the '58's! [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Happy Valentines Day!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Arizona folks going to Texas to look at a car with New Mexico plates- LOVE IT!!!
          That one did look pretty nice. Good luck~ I hope it works out for you guys.

My plan is working!!! With all of the press these '56-'58 cars are getting- I hope to have EVERYONE 'into' them. It'll help drive the value of them through the roof. Mine will be worth a ton of cash. Then (since no one is looking) the value of Hawks will fall, and I'll be able to get one of those at a give-away price.

Great plan, eh? Opps, I've said too much...
          [:0] [V] [xx(]

StudeDave '57 [}] [)]
          San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
          San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
          '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
          '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
          '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
          '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I was asleep at the switch. Someone send me the old link of the wagon on ebay. In the mean time I"ll search for it.
            Russ
            quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

It seems like you can't take a peak at a possible new family Studebaker without SOMEONE deciding to share the news.

Yes, we are looking at a Studebaker this weekend! After a few other local leads didn't pan out, we talked to the owner of the '57 Commander Provincial (El Paso, TX) that was recently on eBay. The car looks and is decribed as being very solid and rust free, and apparently runs well. The work that needs to be done on it appears to be within our limitations. The deal was that if the car didn't sell on eBay, the owner was open to us checking the car out in person and working out a deal if we liked it.

So...as of late this afternoon...John is on his way to El Paso with his friend, Scott (we couldn't make it a family trip since Tracy is watching the grandbabies while John's daughter checks out her wedding location). If the car is what we hope it is and the deal goes through, he'll be driving back tomorrow with our new Studebaker.

For those who may be a little confused as to the choice of vehicles...Tracy has always loved 50's cars (two-toned and tacky tends to be her style) and John is partial to wagons (don't know where he gets that), so this may just be the perfect combination for our family. If all else fails, John gets out of babysitting and comes back hung-over from a night in Juarez...

John and Tracy Smith
            Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            57 SH (project)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

I was asleep at the switch. Someone send me the old link of the wagon on ebay.
              In the mean time I"ll search for it. Russ
              "You've got mail..." It'll look something like this~

StudeDave '57 [8D]
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Hey thats a good looking wagon. Hope its as advertised and the expectations are met.
                Those cyclops speedo's are crazy.
                quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

I was asleep at the switch. Someone send me the old link of the wagon on ebay.
                In the mean time I"ll search for it. Russ
                "You've got mail..." It'll look something like this~

StudeDave '57 [8D]

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                57 SH (project)

Comment

That's a good looking wagon. Assuming the mileage is correct, it only needs overdue maintenance. I guess it's too late to tell John to carry along an extra fan belt and water pump.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

That is an interesting car, I have never seen that strange combination before. It is clearly Glendale Green and Turquoise inside, but LOOKS LIKE Woodsmoke Gray and Arctic White outside! Now that's unusual. Probably available, just not common.

I wonder if the door edges show Glendale Green, instead of Woodsmoke Grey, and what I am seeing is just faded paint. But the Woodsmoke does have Green in it, so the two look similar in the wrong light.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I wonder if the door edges show Glendale Green, instead of Woodsmoke Grey, and what I am seeing is just faded paint. But the Woodsmoke does have Green in it, so the two look similar in the wrong light. StudeRich
                      I think it's just a fadded, original Glendale green with REALLY bad lighting in the pics. Baby is the same way, as you know. Her turquise looks baby blue when photographed in the right light. Have a look at the shot of the rear again. Both tailgates look pretty darn green to me~ just like a certain Champion in your garage...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

I stand uncorrected, i wasn't sharing the news as much as i was trying to get some help in the GEE Tracy you should listen to that wise ol man and get this bodacious wagon for your garage. As i said it will be way cool to drive and if it don't work out i have an alternative plan. Best demoltion derby car i ever had was when i stole your mother in-laws rambler wagon while she was doing dishes. So you can see there is always a future for any car over the rainbow.

Like Chuckstude said keep the boys out of Juarez it's not the place it used to be. Especially at night. I think he can still remember that young lad in TJwanna learning what bribery and billy clubs are for.

Do i get to name this one???

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by bridgegaurd

Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

Like Chuckstude said keep the boys out of Juarez it's not the place it used to be. Especially at night. I think he can still remember that young lad in TJwanna learning what bribery and billy clubs are for.
                          Before any of you ask it was John and I in TJwanna not Chuckstude. That watch the young lad learn that when a cab driver lets you out in front of a cop in TJ. Just go ahead and pay him twice. John and i were there looking for one of those velvet canvas elvis paintings for our patio.

Comment

Hope it works out, those wagons are cool. I used to have a 57 Pelham and let it go, that was a neat little car.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                            http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

That looks like a great car that just needs a couple caring folks to give it a home. I hope it works out so it can safely come to Arizona.

Perry
                              '23 Special Six,
                              '50 Business Champ,
                              '50 Starlight Champ,
                              '60 Lark droptop,
                              '63 GT R1
                              Perry
                              \'50 Business Champion
                              \'50 Starlight Champion
                              \'60 Lark Convertible,
                              \'63 GT R1,
                              \'67 Triumph TR4A