1956 President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 President

For quick reference can someone tell me what engine and transmision were avaiable in the 56 President? What size were the V8 and could this car be ordered with a standard transmision? Were they all 4 door sedans or did Studebaker offer a 2 hardtop or just the 2 door sedan.
    Thanks
    Rick
    Wellington, Colorado

quote:Originally posted by Hawk5619

For quick reference can someone tell me what engine and transmision were available in the 56 President? What size were the V8 and could this car be ordered with a standard transmision? Were they all 4 door sedans or did Studebaker offer a 2 hardtop or just the 2 door sedan.
    Thanks Rick
    Ok, The '56 President was available in:

2 Dr. Sedan (Post) NO Hardtop "F" body code [u]on body tag on Rt. firewall under hood.</u>

Short wheelbase 4 Dr. Sedan "W" body code

2 Dr. Wagon called Pinehurst "D" body

Long Wheelbase "Classic" 4Dr. "Y" Body with rear vent windows that open and 4" longer doors on the Hawk 120 in.W/B

ALL are 289 Cid, the Classic is Standard with 4 Brl & Dual Exhaust 225 HP, Optional on all others.

Standard 3 Speed, 3 Spd. W/Overdrive or 3 speed Borg Warner Automatic were available, all column shifted.

Here is a President Classic 4Dr. in Tangerine and Snow Cap White.

Note the Rocker Panel Mouldings, President Emblem on rear Fender and rear doors & vent windows.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich,

There is one for sale locally that they advertised as a 4 speed. Of course I know that there was no 4 speed in a 56 president. The car looks good and is close to me so I have to go check it tomorrow. I will take your info with me to see just what it is.
      If it looks good and I can get a good price I might do it.
      Will let you know

Rick
      Wellington, Colorado

Comment

The short wheel based Presidents were some times referred to as "VP"s.

Richard

Comment

Would be nice to own an extremely nice example in a 4 dr classic like the one pictured. Good looking cars when compared to other 4dr sedans of that era. I imagine a long wheelbase one would be a nice ride. I'd say Studebaker could have milked the 56 body style more closely until the 1959 models. They could have made less defining changes between the years 56 to 58, had a hardtop, convertible, plus more sales without all the extra manufacturing costs of basically 3 years of front and rear end change, plus other things. I don't think what I'm saying would have been objectionable to dealers or the consumer. It was good enough for the Hawk for quite a few years. They could have saved quite a few bucks, and as a result sold the cars cheaper, possibily selling more. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

My first love was a Hawk, always lusted after the Avantis, but now the '56-'58 sedans and wagons are looking good to me! I want a Prez. Classic![8D]

Wonder if it's from dating a woman with four kids?

Charles Eck
            Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'
            '66 Ford F-250
            '66 Ford F-100
            '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Comment

Working...
            X