Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 greatest American cars, according to the Brits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 greatest American cars, according to the Brits.

I don't know which Studebaker I like better. #7 which is a 1939 Champion Bulletnose or #23 which is a 1962 Avanti.

Nick

p.s. I know that they did technically make Avantis in 1962.

That site has alot of errors with the car year and discriptions vs the pictures shown.

Comment

Jeez! is MSN Cars <s>a British site?</s> UpdateOh I see there is tiny like UK under their name, they must have one for each Country!) I did not see that. I thought even the British knew what a '49 Buick looks like, or a '49 Plymouth, or a '59-'60 Corvette, or a '55 T-Bird, or a '50 Stude, or a '63 Avanti!

I gave up at 26 of 50, they have a 1 or 2 out of 10 correct, batting average! They are mostly WRONG, and not all are off by the year of release vs year Model that they must have gotten from some Encyclopedia or something, they are grossly OFF!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wow,just about every car there,that I am familiar with,has the wrong year of car pictured [that's at least 50% wrong,without bothering to count] [V]

Oglesby,Il.
        " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

A 1959 Corvair? That one would be worth a lot since Corvairs came out in 1960. I had one, by the way.

Tim Painter-Custom '53 Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

With apologies and respect to our UK friends and members...

I love the Brits (I better say that since I'm married to one) BUT don't believe 70-90% what they say about American cars.
            My basset hound knows more quantum physics than most Brits know about American cars.
            The further away from an actual owner/enthuiasts and top-flight magazines you get, the more is "known" and less is [u]really</u> known.

It's also painful to see some restored American cars over there...a special silver anniversary two-tone Corvette comes to mind. It's supposed to be gray & silver, this was red & white "factory correct" they said. You also see comic variations of "stock" Mustangs and Camaros. But when they do know their stuff, there are none better or more enthuiastic about cars.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Would any similar list done by U.S. writers include 2 mini-vans?
              Even if one was a PONTIAC Voyager?!!

Jim B
              Snohomish,Wa

Comment

I would like to talk with whoever came up with this list. Even more I'd like to talk with whoever put the pictures and captions on the site.

I guess researching the story wasn't a requirement.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The Brits often date their cars by when they were registered, not necessarily by model year. A 1960 car registered in Britain in 1959 could be dated 1959. A 1960 car registered in 1961 has a very good chance of being dated 1961. As a former member of a British club for American cars, (the Pre-50 American Auto Club), I noticed that a lot. Just FYI.

Terry Godkin
                  Surrey, British Columbia

Comment

I counted at least 12 pictures that did not match - mostly the wrong years. The worst error was the Pontiac Voyager. I must give them props though for noting the Excalibur connection with Studebaker. Not many people (that aren't Studeholics)know that so I have to thank them for that.

Jon Stalnaker
                    Editor, Hawk Talks
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                    Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

You wonder how well "we" would do in picking the "50 greatest British cars", as to having the correct description, year and model of a particular car[?] I don't think I could be very accurate, not Knowing much about British cars. Just my 2 cents worth.[|)]

Dan Miller
                      Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

You wonder how well "we" would do in picking the "50 greatest British cars", as to having the correct description, year and model of a particular car[?] I don't think I could be very accurate, not Knowing much about British cars. Just my 2 cents worth.[|)]
                        Quite right...
                        my point is that few of us would be foolish enough to write an article like that knowing our shortcomings on the subject.
                        As Dirty Harry once said.."A man's got to know him limitations...".

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

Quite right...
                          my point is that few of us would be foolish enough to write an article like that knowing our shortcomings on the subject.
                          As Dirty Harry once said.."A man's got to know him limitations...".

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          Exactly. If I were to write such an article I'd be sure to double check it with someone who actually knows British cars!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Working...
                          X