Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Serial / body tag

quote:Originally posted by p71victoria
    The body tag denotes its a 1964 Daytona; the only year one could buy a Daytona 4-door sedan (Y-body, a Cruiser would read "Y9"). The serial number designates it was built after January 1st, 1964.

Craig

Comment

You are correct, it actually is a Canadian built 1964 Daytona 4 Dr. Sedan built after the South Bend Plant closed, and most likely imported to the U.S.

It should have a Stude. engine being a '64, but those body side mouldings should be satin Black in the center, but are faded out.

It would not have had the V-8 part of the crossed flags U.S. Emblem, just the flags on the the "C" pillar. Because in Canada for some crazy reason they built performance named Daytonas, with 6 Cyl. engines!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Your car is a Daytona 4 door built in Hamilton on March 4th or 5th, 1964. It is a V8 equipped vehicle and the body number is 5407, which in the Canadian system means the 5407th Studebaker body, any model. There was no differentiation in counting the body styles.
        That's all those numbers tell you. You need the build ticket to decipher the options originally ordered.

Comment

If you contact the Studebaker National Museum you can get a copy of your original production order. All you need is your Serial Number and some coin of the realm.

Click on the SHOP link to the Museum store.
          Visit the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana, to experience the story of one of the world's foremost automotive makers.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
            Because in Canada for some crazy reason they built performance named Daytonas, with 6 Cyl. engines!
            The 'crazy reason' was because Chevrolet also offered the Impala SS with a 6 cylinder engine in the US AND Canada!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E[q

The 'crazy reason' was because Chevrolet also offered the Impala SS with a 6 cylinder engine in the US AND Canada!
              I never saw one of those 6 Cyl. Impala SS's Craig, but there were plenty of Chevy II Nova SS's, the first ones were ALL 6 Cyl. but it only meant Bucket Seats on all Chevies, not really a performance car.

I guess it IS, whatever you want it to be though!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks everyone this is a big help. So I don't have a 64 Cruiser, I have a 64 Daytona with a Cruiser nameplate....
                And yes it has the V8 engine, and I can tell the side molding use to have a black center.

-Chris

Comment

There's one other way to tell the difference.
                  Rear door vent windows open on a Cruiser,
                  fixed on a Daytona.
                  Which do you have?

Comment

They are fixed... See and this is why I joined. This site is such a big help!

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X