'64 Daytona Production Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 Daytona Production Order

I don't have the car home yet (!), but today I got the production order for my new '64 Daytona Hardtop, serial C503926, from the SNM. Surprisingly, to me anyway, there is no dealer destination on the (Canadian) production order, just "Stock" noted at the top. The car was assembled June 10, 1964. It has a "Model 27 Axle 3.07A" (commonplace, correct?), and there are three items crossed out on the order...undercoating, electric ww washer, and seat belts--blue.

I have a copy of the window sticker for the car already (I've had it for years; car is from my hometown). The window sticker has the local dealer's name printed on it and a large, stamped "CORRECTED" noted near the bottom of the sticker. I now believe this was to replace the original window sticker that probably had no dealer name on it.

Interestingly, the handwritten "Car Sales Contract" I have a copy of, is dated June 27, 1964 and has the serial no. of the car on it. Bumper guards were installed at the dealer at a cost of $20.00, as well as undercoat for $19.95 and 'Prep for delivery' $40.00. The "Motor Vehicle Installment Sale Contract" is dated July 23, 1964. The retail sale card from the SNM says "Date of Transaction 8/13/64". The '64 Stude brochure that the original owner (still with us) gave me last year has "July 1964" handwritten inside the front page.

Some weird stuff here....the car was built without a destination on June 10 but was at a dealer's on June 27? And why the "Date of Transaction" of 8/13/64 on the retail sale card?

Although I consider the selling dealer a good friend, it's probably unfair to ask him these questions 45 years later!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

I don't think it would be "unfair" at all. You are not accusing him of a crime you know, probably just a Stude. Corporation typist error.

It is my understanding that all Canadian built cars of that era had windshield washers, so does it have the standard non-electric wiper kicker, Washer Kit then?

Yes; if it has a 259 engine, a 27 Axle would be standard.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Tried to respond to this earlier today, and just as I hit the post button, the power went off. Lost the message. Will try again . . .

I suspect that Stude built the car for stock to keep the production line running. They regularly informed the dealer network about in-stock, unsold vehicles available for immediate delivery. Obviously, your dealer responded and took delivery. It wasn't sold until somewhat later.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Studerich , I have a Cdn ordered '64 and I have the built sheet and also the order form from the dealer and windshield washers were ordered on my car , they were a $12.25 option .

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
        "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Could it have been a mandatory option like L&R Front Seat Belts, they show in my PD64-54 revised 1/64 (for Canadian late '64's) Factory Delivered Prices book as: "Available at extra cost" "not factory installed", "will be furnished at extra cost on all models unless B1010 (factory order) specifically states to omit."

But ONLY manual Windshield Washers are "available at extra cost". Factory installed for $10.75. A dollar fifty to install..ouch!

Apparently on Canadian cars they deleted the U.S. Automatic Electric Washers! So that was an error on your Prod. that they corrected.

All I know is 99 and 9/10's of the Canadian built Cars here HAVE the washers! I never saw a sold in Canada car.

Interesting though that they show Overdrive and 4 Speed NOT available on Cruiser, and Full Tinted Glass available ONLY on 4 Door sedans!

We know that Cruisers built in the U.S. had 4 speeds, bucket seats, Overdrive etc. when ordered (rarely).

Factory delivered prices include preparation charge: $24.00 6 Cyl. & $30.00 Eight Cylinder! [:0]
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Could it have been a mandatory option like seat belts, they show in my PD64-54 revised 1/64 (for Canadian late '64's) Factory Delivered Prices book as: "Available at extra cost" "not factory installed", "will be furnished at extra cost on all models unless B1010 (factory order) specifically states to omit."
            But ONLY manual Windshield Washers are "available at extra cost". Factory installed for $10.75. A dollar fifty to install..ouch!
            Apparently on Canadian cars they deleted the U.S. Automatic Electric Washers! So that was an error on your Prod. that they corrected.
            All I know is 99 and 9/10's of the Canadian built Cars here HAVE the washers! I never saw a sold in Canada car.
            Interesting though that they show Overdrive and 4 Speed NOT available on Cruiser, and Full Tinted Glass available ONLY on 4 Doors!We know that Cruisers built in the U.S. had 4 speeds, bucket seats, Overdrive etc. when ordered (rarely).
            Factory delivered prices include preparation charge: $24.00 6 Cyl. & $30.00 Eight Cylinder! [:0]
            When I ordered my Wagonaire from Canada I couldn't get all tinted glass- windshield only. I just assumed they had dropped the full tint on everything. I guess the reason I couldn't get tinted side window on the wagon was because the windows are different from a sedan.[V]

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Well , I'm not sure but I have the invoice and it lists $502.80 worth of options the only one that was no charge was white wall tires. Also on the built sheet it lists windshield washers .

1960 Champ
              1964 Daytona HT
              sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

I don't have the car home yet (!), but today I got the production order for my new '64 Daytona Hardtop, serial C503926, from the SNM. Surprisingly, to me anyway, there is no dealer destination on the (Canadian) production order, just "Stock" noted at the top. The car was assembled June 10, 1964. It has a "Model 27 Axle 3.07A" (commonplace, correct?), and there are three items crossed out on the order...undercoating, electric ww washer, and seat belts--blue.
                I have a copy of the window sticker for the car already (I've had it for years; car is from my hometown). The window sticker has the local dealer's name printed on it and a large, stamped "CORRECTED" noted near the bottom of the sticker. I now believe this was to replace the original window sticker that probably had no dealer name on it.
                Interestingly, the handwritten "Car Sales Contract" I have a copy of, is dated June 27, 1964 and has the serial no. of the car on it. Bumper guards were installed at the dealer at a cost of $20.00, as well as undercoat for $19.95 and 'Prep for delivery' $40.00. The "Motor Vehicle Installment Sale Contract" is dated July 23, 1964. The retail sale card from the SNM says "Date of Transaction 8/13/64". The '64 Stude brochure that the original owner (still with us) gave me last year has "July 1964" handwritten inside the front page.
                Some weird stuff here....the car was built without a destination on June 10 but was at a dealer's on June 27? And why the "Date of Transaction" of 8/13/64 on the retail sale card?
                Although I consider the selling dealer a good friend, it's probably unfair to ask him these questions 45 years later!
                Was there a destination or shipping fee on the price sticker? I picked up my car at the factory at Hamilton and my price sticker didn't have a destination fee. Maybe your dealer drove it away from Hamilton. Dealers used to do that on some occasions.
                This is the Build Sheet and Bill of Lading on my car. I just noticed an item called 2085 LOCK and I have no idea what that is. I had to sign the Bill of Lading as shipper then have it checked at customs in Windsor, Ontario before I could cross in to Detroit.

'64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thats a nice optioned out wagon !

1960 Champ
                  1964 Daytona HT
                  sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Thats a nice optioned out wagon !
                    Thanks. I couldn't order factory air, Hill Holder or headrests so they were dealer installed (right headrest only).

Comment

I think the "3C73 0" rear axle ratio is a typo or system programming error, should be: 3.73

Door locks, glove compartment lock and tailgate lock are standard on Daytona and it's not likely a locking Gas Cap, so about all that leaves is the new for '64, safety catches on the sliding roof? [:0]

One would think that would also be standard though.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Bill Pressler
                        Bill: Have you ascertained from the original owner the exact date they actually took delivery, regardless of what dates were put on various documents?

New-car dealers and manufacturer sales depts routinely play games with dates to meet quotas, get under the line on special incentives, and what have you. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

At first, I thought Paul might have figured it out...dealer driveaway from Hamilton. I have some color (though very dark) photos of the Hamilton assembly line from when the dealer went there in '64 and a picture of him standing by a Horizon Green Commander four-door en route home. But the window sticker on my car shows a destination fee of $58.10.

I think either the June 27 date or more likely the 8/13/64 date the dealership put on the Retail Sale Card, was done to make a quota or 'spread a sale around', or the 8/13 date was put on just because someone forgot to do it 'til then.

The selling dealer and original owners are all in their eighties, but I might ask next time I see/talk to any of them!

Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                          '64 Daytona Hardtop

Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Door locks, glove compartment lock and tailgate lock are standard on Daytona and it's not likely a locking Gas Cap, so about all that leaves is the new for '64, safety catches on the sliding roof? [:0]
                            Comparing the two, that 'Lock' should be 'clock'. The Wagonaire plunger lock was a mid-year addition to the 1963's.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Comparing the two, that 'Lock' should be 'clock'. The Wagonaire plunger lock was a mid-year addition to the 1963's.
                              Duh! (slapping myself in the head). You're right. I do have a clock and it wasn't otherwise listed on the build sheet.

Comment

Working...
                              X