1948 Champion Convert value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 Champion Convert value

I am restoring a 48 Champion convert. The car was originally painted Tulip Cream, not my fravorite color. My question is how much would it decrease its value by changing the color to another original color?

quote:Originally posted by gnaar1

I am restoring a 48 Champion convert. The car was originally painted Tulip Cream, not my fravorite color. My question is how much would it decrease its value by changing the color to another original color?
    Basically nothing if you do it right. That means painting everything that is now painted Tulip Cream to your new color. BUT, if you leave things like the engine compartment and door jams and under hood and under trunk the old color you will lose money In reality with a convertible you are going to create a large amont of work over just repainting it the Tulip Cream. On the other hand, if you go by the word restoring, and you eventually want to sell it, then keeping the original color will keep the car correct based on it's build sheet.

That might get you a few more dollars in the end.

IF the new color is a 1948 color you might not have problem, but if you pick a modern color, or a color from a later year Studebaker some purists might shy away. BUT, is YOUR car.

BG

Comment

Here's the catch--While the original color will score more points, a cooler color will increase customer base, allowing the sale price to be higher. Ever heard of "resale red"? So, unless you're going for show quality (no driving), paint it your favorite color.

Comment

What is "Tulip Cream"? Is it a fancy word for off-white?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
        Holdrege NE
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

I may be wrong, but I believe I heard that in a show you would not lose any points for a color change, provided it was a color available that year.

If you want a non-48 Stude color, then it depends on how you see the finished car: Are you doing a completely authentic resto? Will this be driver or show quality? How concerned are you about resale value- just how important is it to you? And, just how much do you really dislike Tulip Cream?

There are no wrong answers to these questions; but they will be the criteria to help you decide. Give us some answers and we'll go from there.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Here's the Tulip Cream paint chip... I agree not too exciting, but then again, none of the convertible colors really knock me out.

Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
            '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Hey, that's not a bad color at all, as a matter of fact it looks like the best stock one available by far. I bet it's even brighter in person.

Comment

My first car, back in the 60's was a 48 champion convertible. It was Tulip cream with a black top and red interior. I say go with the orignal. But I might be biased. NT

Neil Thornton
                Hazlehurst, GA
                '57 Silver Hawk
                '56 Sky Hawk
                '51 2R16 dump truck
                Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I think there were a couple tulip cream painted cars at Lancaster. They looked really great and true to the era. I think Studebaker Wheel posted a car or two with that color recently. May not be that model year, though. I agree with Neil, I like it for a convertible. [^]

Comment

To answer your question- Convertibles of any year/manufacture are almost always more valued than 4-doors, and even 2-door coupes. They are also more rare. Your car is rare enough... that repainting AN originally available color would be better from a cost/reward standpoint. That is true for most colors..except greens, tans, and white/off-white. Then the popularity versus originality debate begins...
                    If you are building the car as a reseller.. hoping to make some $$.. It might be better to stick with the original (provided the rest of the car is remaining original). If it's a keeper/enjoyment vehicle, or Street-rod... it may be preferable to change it to a color YOU find more pleasing.

Personally....
                    I think Studebaker's Tulip Cream is a fantastic color on an early convertible. I know of only (3) 47-'51 Convertibles in that color.

Old tired washed out paint doesn't do the color justice, so I hope that's not what you are basing your choice on. I painted a 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe that color.. but these are the only decent photos I have of it.

I do have a photo of my brother's '51 Chevrolet Convertible- which is "Moonlight Cream"... The colors are an exact match for each other. This picture shows the true color better than the photos of the Starlight Coupe...
                    So, here's what it looks like on a Convertible...(even though it's not a Stude)

I have the correct paint formula for Tulip Cream in Dupont Chromabase BB/CC. I can e-mail it to you if I don't have the paint-formula page back up by then.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

That was also a 1947 color. I have a huge poster of a 47 Commander convertible in that color. The poster car has a red leather interior and looks marvelous.

I was thinking of painting mine that color even though mine was originally Hloiday Red

Comment

I think the cream is a nice color. Of course they all are, except maybe the gray. In restoring a car I usually like the original color myself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Thanks for all the great comments. After I posted my question I checked the judging rules. Should have done that first! The rules donot deduct for not having the oirginal color but it has to be from the period.

I am tring for a #2 restoration

Maybe you can help with another question. Does any one know the right color for the inner side of trunk lid and the trunk too?

Comment

quote:[i]

Maybe you can help with another question. Does any one know the right color for the inner side of trunk lid and the trunk too?
                            GRIEGE ........ not brown, not gray but a mixture. Somebody found a Rustoleum paint numer that is quite close. Some say it is an earth tone like a cream. I believe, but won't swear to it, but where the top goes down into the space behind the seat there is an over spray of that color. If you have the top motors, the color of the shaft of the motors is the color of the inside of the trunk area. You can also use for color matching the wire guide that goes down the steering column for the directional signals as a color sample (if your car has the dealer installed directional signals).

If you want I can shoot you a few photos to use as a guide.

BG

Comment

Thanks for the help. My trunk inside looks original. It has what looks like tarpaper inserts in the support structure and some kind of sound proofing. The color appears to be blue gray. Does this sound like original?

Also can you post your pictures?

Comment

Working...
                              X