Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stude (Military) Car- Truck,type & paint Jobs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude (Military) Car- Truck,type & paint Jobs...

Can you please post any pictures,of any type, of Studebakers(any Nation) that was painted-up for(whatever mission) that Studebaker may have produced?

I ran as series of these five post cards on Ebay last month. All were taken form original art by Frederic Tellander during WWII. They were used in magazine ads and also a set of large prints was sent to dealers in a portfolio for hanging in their showrooms. I still have some of the post cards as well as large prints.

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Ok. No one out-there has a Studebaker painted in any Government paint job? I know that the U.S.A.F. bought some 1961 1/2 tons... Nobody has a Weasel in this club? A tank, with a Stude engine? Come-on folks..? I want real pictures!!!!

Comment

1963 Studebaker M50A1 water truck, Ft Bliss Tx, circa 1994, used to fill swamp coolers, and fight brush/range fires, Dona Ana Base camp, New Mexico. Good old "Sparky".

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28

59 Lark
        etc

Comment

winsteave. If your thinking modern day multi colored, No, most WWII vehicles were painted solid flat olive green. Some weasels were painted multi colored white and black. Gen. Patton directed repainting vehicles tan, in country, for the North Africain Campaign.

Richard

Comment

the Weasel in the Studebaker National Museum in the fall of 2008

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
            53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wmsteve

Ok. No one out-there has a Studebaker painted in any Government paint job? I know that the U.S.A.F. bought some 1961 1/2 tons... Nobody has a Weasel in this club? A tank, with a Stude engine? Come-on folks..? I want real pictures!!!!
              Here is a 1945 owned by John Benter from Crosby, ND. It was the lead vehicle in the 50th Anniversary tour of the Alaska Highway in 1992.

John Benter's Weasel:

Then there is this Weasel in the Imperial Palace Museum in Las Vegas.

1963 ex-US Marine Corps 8E40. *Note: Color is NOT exact, and black area should also be same color green as per the build sheet*

Craig **FINAL** Edit~NO more photos to add

Comment

Here's an early (I believe its a T-15) Weasel at the Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles at Lexington NE

Here's a photo of a weasel in Italy during WWII with similar camo, but with spots (a Holstein weasel?)

By the way, I have been looking with little success for photos of US Air Force motor pool vehicles from the 1940s and 50s. Any help is appreciated. I am looking mainly for a picture of a door with markings.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                Holdrege NE
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

I mentioned this before, but back in high school the PE dept. had an ex-Air Force 1949 Studebaker pickup. It was used to haul equipment out to the practice fields. It was still dark AF blue and under thin layer of black spray paint you could make out

US AIR FORCE
                  49Y XXXX (serial number)

FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY

Letters were in yellow indivdual decals about 1.5 or 2 inches high.

On the bumper (or later, license plates) would be an abbreviation of the air base and major command to which it was assigned:

CAFB SAC (Carswell AFB Strategic Air Command)

Hope this helps...
                  BTW: I'll look in some of my aviation books, there might be a shot of a truck next to an airplane...a long shot but who knows?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

John
                    Yes, I recall your comments from an earlier thread. Your recollection is consistent with other, later (1970s, 1990s) photos and other people's comments ("for official use only" seems to be a common marking)...but I'd really like a picture, to be able to show a signmaker the font and centering.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                    Holdrege NE
                    John
                    1950 Champion
                    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                    Holdrege NE

Comment

Ya! Now that's what I'm looking for!! I know, the military tended to just spray'em the same color (all over) to save time but, there has to be special markings, and such, out there that someone knows about, before this knowlage is lost?

What cool pic's you have all posted! Thank You!

Comment

Define special markings.other then:

USA number painted on each side of the hood, factory applied.
                        Unit bumper markings, unit motor pool applied.
                        Tire pressure markings on edge of fenders and bed over rear tires, unit motor pool applied.
                        In theater grill signs. unit motor pool fabicated and attached.

Complete flat olive drab paint coverage required to lesson detection by observation of reflection. When reqired all glass i.e. windshield, all exterior lights and reflectors were coverd with mud.

Richard

Comment

Weasel trivia.
                          Fort McCoy, Wisconsin.
                          Weasel in Historical Equipment Pool.
                          As a result of my initial efforts, the transfer from the active Army inventory to the excess Army inventory was taken by responsible government personnel which resulted in the physical movement of the weasel from Rock Island Arsenal,Illinois to Fort McCoy.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                          X