Need a JT Block & Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a JT Block & Heads

I need to get started on my Clone i was just going to build a regular 289 up to R2 specs but now i'm wanting a real JT block and heads to make an authenic R2 i know it will be tough finding all the pieces but i really want to get to building an engine. Any R2 engines for sale complete minus the S/C set up? i already have an r2 S/C setup i bought with the car.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

The last I heard SASCO still had some new low compression Truck heads, which is what was used on Avanti R2 and Super Jet Thrust engines to lower the comp. so they could use the same Pistons as the R1.

The block, pan and baffles (windage trays and all the bits and pieces etc. will be the hard part, unless you get really lucky and find a complete JTS engine, I think I would just use your 289 "P" block instead.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I will sell my JT engine. It spun a bearing, so it needs to be rebuilt.

I drove it at South Bend and it ran real strong, but didn't have much oil pressure.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Leonard, you probably already know this but it looks like that engine is out of one of two Cruisers that had that same engine number.

Comment

Email sent.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by clonelark

I need to get started on my Clone i was just going to build a regular 289 up to R2 specs but now i'm wanting a real JT block and heads to make an authenic R2
            To make it authentic, you'll want a JTS block, not a JT block.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

So, that's an October 7th of 1963 R1 289 built engine. Besides being edit: norm-aspirated, what are the cam, head and piston differences from the R2's and 3's? Still learning this high perf stuff. It's probably in the BP, CA article. [B)]

Comment

Istude, it spun a rod or main bearing?

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Dick is right if you are building the R-2 you need the JTS number and the 84 series numbered heads, the R-1 used the series 70 numbered heads these numbers are the last two in the casting number I have Jt block, a pair of 84 heads and the pan, you can call me if you wish at 510-266-2522 or e-mail at candbstudebakers@sbcglobal.net.....Bob
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

quote:Istude, it spun a rod or main bearing?
                    It spun a rod bearing, not a main bearing.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
                      Besides being non-aspirated,
                      It's got to have SOME kind of aspiration or it won't run [)]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Why don't you just get a NOS block without any number stamped in it? Bob Helm has an ad for one in this month's TW.

Nick

edited for grammar

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
                          Besides being non-aspirated,
                          It's got to have SOME kind of aspiration or it won't run [)]

Dick Steinkamp
                          Well, Dick... it's only Sunday afternoon, but I bet that will be the funniest thing posted on the forum all week. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I've got a JTS block that's cleaned, line-bored and sonic tested. Started life in a 64 GT Hawk It wants a good home[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Anguish over the correct code stamp for a [u]clone</u> engine? And why call it a clone? If it is built to R2 specs, it will be just as fast and look just as good as any which came with a JTS stamp. A "real JTS block" was just the next 259"/289" V8 block coming down the line when the R2 production order reached the top of the stack - not a bit of difference from any other block. As stated above, the heads are just ordinary truck heads available new and used everywhere. There are very few R2-only parts involved.

A good share of what are selling today as R2 cars do not have the original block and some buyers have learned to their sorrow, are missing some of the R2-only parts. Those aren't clones, they're frauds.

We might note the hard experience of the Corvette guys. They got off into paying exorbitant high bucks for matching number blocks and date coded parts. It lead to a thriving underground counterfeiting business. Finally, the organizations realized they couldn't police it at shows, so they took it off the judging sheets. As always, your car, your money, your decision - just don't expect everyone to get it.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X