Advice on Avanti wheels and tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Avanti wheels and tires

I need advice about replacement wheels and tires for Avantis. My 64 R2 is almost ready for the road. The restoration is only 7 years behind schedule and 300% over budget - much improved from my last project.

Most of what I see on the web suggests wheels no larger than 15 X 6 as a general rule and lots say stick with 15 X 5. This car has a Turner brake conversion. What about backspacing & offset? Lots of stuff out there about overstressing the front end with the wrong spec wheels. Lots of stuff about different size tires front & rear. Why is that? For best combination of good handling & traction and smooth ride, what tire size(s)work best with no clearance issues? Anybody have thoughts on wire wheels?

I'm more of a touring driver than hot rodder but I do have my moments and I do enjoy the winding backcountry roads in the TX hill country.

I'm sure this has been rehashed a bazillion times but I would appreciate some straight talk from guys with experience.

Thanks,
    Harper
    Houston, TX

quote:Originally posted by harper

I'm sure this has been rehashed a bazillion times
    Close.

If you search on "Avanti Wheels" using the search button in the upper right corner you get over 500 threads, maybe 5,000 posts on this topic.

Actually, that question is one of the top three asked on this forum, and it's a little unfair to expect a newbie to know about the search function.

Welcome!

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Depends on what you need. Stock looking? Custom? If stock, the Ford wheel C5AZ-1007B or whatever the Hollander interchange for them is. If custom at 6" width go with a 3 3/4" back space. Wider than 6" will get you into big biceps steering and moving to less back space will get you more tire scrub.

Comment

Contact Bob Palma on this subject.

Richard

Comment

I just want to say thanks to the folks who responded here and especially to the ones who followed up with me by email. I have everything I need.

Thanks, again
          Harper

Thanks,
          Harper
          Houston, TX

Comment

Working...
          X