Most Annoying Studebaker Thing - A Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Annoying Studebaker Thing - A Poll

What things, big or small, annoy you the most about Studebakers?

We all love them, but there's always some thing with any kind of car that can irk us owners. What makes you mad, makes you scratch your head, etc.?

I nominate these two things:

Cardboard headliners in sliding roof Wagonaires.

Stude rear suspension bushings (and trying to get them out!).

Have at it.

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Heater core and master cylinder under the front seat. Otherwise they are outstanding !!!!!!!!

57 & 58 Packards
    62 Daytona
    63 R2 Lark

Comment

I'll agree on the rear spring bushings. And rust caused by the front fender design. Minor one: window cranks go in the wrong direction.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

When someone says "Nice RAMBLER!" and points to your car, but you've never owned one in your life!![B)]

Craig

Comment

Actually, I like the MC under the front seat. It makes for a super solid brake pedal feel. Keeps the engine compartment clutter free. About as simple a system as you can get.

The heater under the front seat was not a bad idea and it was used by several other makes. The downside was the less than efficient defroster system that went with it.

When I compare Studebakers to other makes of the same vintage, it would be hard for me to come up with something they did terribly wrong. Yea, panels fit poorly, bodys rusted quickly, they handle like boats, etc, but so did all other cars of the same vintage.

I think I'm prejudice .

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Skip: Window cranks do NOT go the wrong way.
            You, my friend, have been spending way too much time in the wrong vehicles.

Comment

Dash blinker lights that are way too dim.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I think the trunk release on the Avanti is the only "what were they thinking" thing I can come up with. I wonder how many 1960's buyers were annoyed by not being able to walk up to the trunk and being able to use a key to get into it. For those who aren't familiar, the lock can only be operated by a lever you can only get to by walking to and opening the driver's door. The lever is at the base of the rear trim panel, just next to the bottom of the back seat, at the rear of the door sill area. Of course, it is not a spring loaded trunk lid, so I wonder how many of the levers were left in the open position when they were meant to be locked, etc. It is not an item that I can see 1960's buyers appreciating, although the car looks better without a trunk lock somewhere on the decklid.

Comment

Add-on fins on the Hawks.

Banging your head on a Hawk hood. People are starting to call me "Lumpy".

Comment

Never ending oil leaks.

66 Commander R1 Clone
                    51 Commander 4dr
                    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

A hood that takes 3 men and a boy to lift. 4 hood hinge springs that do nothing to lift the hood.

Oglesby,Il.
                      " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

A (170 cid-6) oil pan that nearly requires the removal of the engine to remove/install. Come to think of it, I recently did replace the oil pan gasket with the engine out, on a stand, and upside down. In the vehicle, it's a nightmare (for me).

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
                        '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Its gotta be the rusty broken caged nuts on the front side of the a pillar, at least the rear edge of the fender rots off allowing you to attack the offending fasteners with your weapon of choice [:0][B)]
                          oh and when despite adjusting the shift levers according to the shop book you can sometimes still "hang" the transmission between 1st and 2nd on a hard shift

Jon Krimm
                          1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Leaking trunk

Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Dash lights on a switch separate from headlights.

(On the upside, a little clever recircuitry solves this problem and gives you a bone stock double-circuit rocker to use for whatever you want. I chose intermittent wipers.)

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                              In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                              If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Working...
                              X