Avanti 4-door needs a part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti 4-door needs a part

Had a muffler put on my wife's Fiero this AM and saw an Avanti in the parking lot. The owner needs a shift cable. If you have one or know who does, please contact midas495@swbell.net. Here's a picture of where it goes.

John

If you don't get a response here, try the AOAI forum...lots of guys with post-Studebaker Avantis there.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Knowing the year and/or serial number would be most helpful in identifying the part. It may be an "off the shelf" GM item.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '78 Avanti II
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

That is an Avanti on a Chevy chassis,right? I wonder if it could be matched up to a GM part.?

Oglesby,Il.
        " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

It's this kind of Avanti. PO had Maserati name plates and emblems all over it but the interior is a very nice leather.

John

Comment

Lokar sells generic cables (cut to fit) for the street rod crowd. If he can't find an original cable, he can probably make one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Check local Advance Auto parts or Autogroan in the boy racer speed parts isle for B&M shifter cable that might work.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer
                PO had Maserati name plates and emblems all over it...
                John[/b]
                Sounds like a real classy guy! Glad to hear he's a PO.
                Avantis get enough flack from Anti-Avanti snobs, we don't need a guy like that making our lives any more difficult![:0]

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Johnny

Here's a pix of a Gen 2 camaro shifter that was destined for 54K until I got a great deal on my B&M. Looks close enough to get you started on the correct cable. It's GM for sure.

Sorry about the size, Photobucket is resisting my attempts to enlarge. If you need a better shot, email me.

The give away is the bracket on the right side of the shift mount that holds the electric connections for the shifter functions.

Bob [^]

Comment

I assumed it was from a Corvette but if it's a Camaro, please e-mail them and tell 'em. I have no connection with the car, except I saw it and talked to the owner of that Midas location. I sent him the link to this thread.

John

Comment

Johnny

The pix is not an exact match but shows that the brackets, shift lever and support and many other features are the same. Just suggesting that a Camaro cable will fit. The exact shifter he has could be Corvette but the Camaro cable should have the proper connections to fit. It is a GM floor shift for sure.

A quick trip to a Pic-a-part should yield the correct cable, then he could use it or buy it new now that he has the car it came from. No way to tell if the Avanti mixed parts among GM cars or used complete assemblies.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

It's this kind of Avanti. PO had Maserati name plates and emblems all over it but the interior is a very nice leather.

John
                        I think Maserati still makes those in Canada, don't they[?][}]

KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Yeah, with F*rd engines!

John

Comment

Working...
                          X