53 gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 gas tank

Does anybody know what would fit my 53 commander. I got the car without a gas tank'[?]

Coupe/hardtop or sedan?

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Hardtop

Comment

Okay. I'd think that any C/K tank from '53-64 should work, with little mods, if any. Anyone know for sure?

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

A lark wagon tank can be made to fit too. I used a NOS one a few years ago in my '53. The tank is a little shorter front to rear than a C/K tank so the hangers need to be adjusted: Left front one drill a hole 1" over on the tank's mounting tab. The right hanger bracket can be rotated a little to line up. The only other mod was to bend/tweak the filler neck a little so it was not quite so vertical (hits the trunk floor otherwise).

Don't recall what year(s) of wagon tank it was anymore or if all lark wagons had the same tank or not?

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Does anyone know the measurements of the tank.

Comment

Following up....were they all the same capacity?

'53 Commander
              Art Morrison chassis
              LS6 ASA/4L60E
              '53 Commander
              Art Morrison chassis
              LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

I failed to mention that the car is in a location that I can not measure the opening. I did look on ebay and found a dealer that had a new gas tank for a 58 Corvett and thinks that it will fit.

Comment

I used a repop tank from a 49-52 Chevy that I got from Tanksinc.com. Had to do some mods to the filler neck and figure out a frame work to mount it using straps like the Chevy used. I needed a tank that was slightly deeper in order to run an in tank electric pump for my fuel injection. It was quite a bit of work, but once done was trouble free. You can see details in my project journal linked below. Entries 14 & 15 on page 11-12

Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Depends on where you are, I have one in L.A. you could have for free. One guy back east asked for it but UPS and others will not ship a used gas tank that has had fuel in it even though it has been 30 years since it had any.

Comment

That's interesting, as I have sent back to Mark II industries my old Lincoln gas tank as a core return from NJ to California UPS.I believe it can only ship ground like any flammable product.
                      I thoroughly flushed it out first with plenty of water and let dry in the sun.
                      Jack

1955 SPEEDSTER LEMON/LIME
                      1955 SPEEDSTER RED & WHITE
                      1964 R2 GT HAWK (SID)

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Working...
                      X