40273 Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40273 Wheel

Well, I need one new 40273. I've got the other three. Someone out there have one extra? Thanks! Dan

Dan
    Explain what you need 40273 is not a Stude number.
    Bob K.

Comment

40273 is the universal NWRA (National Wheel & Rim Association) number for the slightly wider Ford wheel being sold by Bob Helm until stocks ran out (or low) about eight months ago, Bob. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

40273 is the universal NWRA (National Wheel & Rim Association) number for the slightly wider Ford wheel being sold by Bob Helm until stocks ran out (or low) about eight months ago, Bob. BP
        I thought the Ford wheel was 40709?
        If it will do, there is a guy here that has soem in stock, inspected and painted. He's sold some to local Stude guys like Allen Barth.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

John,

Is it a qualifying factor that one has to be prtetty much like Allen Barth to be able to purchase these wheels. I'd like to think I wouldn't qualify.[:0][B)][:I][)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

John, 40709 is the available replacement for 40273, but is 1/2 inch wider. Since I already have 3 of the 40273's, I need to stick to the same width for the 4th wheel, consequently need 40273. Dan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

John,
              Is it a qualifying factor that one has to be prtetty much like Allen Barth to be able to purchase these wheels. I'd like to think I wouldn't qualify.[:0][B)][:I][)]
              Now you tell me!!![:0]
              He's got my gutted Avanti in several hundred pieces in his shop....

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Ask Bob Helm
                He may have a single straggler or one with slight paint damage

Comment

Thanks, Robert. I did talk to Bob. He has none left; said he could have sold 500 more if he had them. Said Hayes closed down the plant in Venezuela some time ago where they made this and other steel wheels.

The only hope is finding a dealer somewhere with some getting dusty on the shelf. The internet is the way. Dan

Comment

Dan (and anyone else in central Indiana): If you are so inclined and have the time, take one of your existing 40273 wheels down to Midwest Brake & Wheel at 1140 South West Street in Indianapolis, south and west a couple blocks from Lucas Oil Stadium.

I've been there several times and found all the counter men knowledgable and very helpful. They may be able to locate a stray for you. (But I'd advise doing it in person; a phone call might not yield what you really want.)

Or, they might come up with a set of four very close and you could sell your extra 40273s to people who themselves need "ones and twos". BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I sent you an email...the shop I mentioned [u]might</u> have what you need. But would like to see what you currently have just to be sure.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

AA Wheel & Truck Supply, Inc, Mo. 800-486-4335
                        Inventory as of 02/07/2009: 17

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ivorydan

AA Wheel & Truck Supply, Inc, Mo. 800-486-4335
                          Inventory as of 02/07/2009: 17
                          Very good recommendation! They shipped the wheels the day I ordered them, which was on Thursday. I received the wheels on Monday. They were shipped from western Missouri to central Indiana. The price was very reasonable, even with shipping added on.

I highly recommend AA Wheel to anyone looking for the 40273 wheel.

One question to anyone who uses 40273 wheels. Do you need to use Ford lug nuts or do the Stude lugs work?

Thanks!

Tom
                          1960 Lark VIII
                          1962 Lark Cruiser
                          Tom
                          1960 Lark VIII
                          1962 Lark Cruiser
                          1964 Cruiser

Comment

I have 40273 wheels on my Hawk and they did require the larger nut (13/16X 3/4"). They're plentiful at Autozone, but about $1.00 apiece

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
                            55 President State Sedan
                            70 Avanti (R3)
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by 55Prez

I have 40273 wheels on my Hawk and they did require the larger nut (13/16X 3/4"). They're plentiful at Autozone, but about $1.00 apiece

Thanks, Bob.

Tom
                              1960 Lark VIII
                              1962 Lark Cruiser
                              Tom
                              1960 Lark VIII
                              1962 Lark Cruiser
                              1964 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X