Can anyone identify all of these Pic's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify all of these Pic's

Great Pic's of the Jr Stock days - from the H.A.M.B.

This one is our own Ted Harbit.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Good find!
    Thanks!
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Excellent photos, Bob; thanks for the post.

Here are notes I can contribute. Perhaps when Ted Harbit gets home from the hospital (hopefully today; Monday, Feb 2) he will be able to get caught up and add some more.

1. The last picture is indeed The Chicken Hawk, with Ted at the wheel. That photo was probably taken during the 1970 campaign. Those of you with complete Turning Wheels collections may want to compare the picture posted here with the one on Page 8 of the March 1996 Turning Wheels. You'll likely arrive at the same conclusion.

2. In the third picture down, a 1952 Commander Starlight is lined up in the staging lanes. A 1968 Mercury Montego(?) may be seen parked along the fence, dating the photo to at least 1968. Ted's friend Fred Robinson was running a 1952 Commander Starlight, but I'm not sure he was running it that late. So it may or may not be Fred Robinson's '52. Perhaps Ted will confirm.

3. Most interesting is the next-to-the-last photo; the 1963 C/SA R2 Lark Standard tuned by Gordon Williams. This is the same car that appears on Page 64 of my February 2009 Collectible Automobile article on high-performance Studebakers. Yes, the car began life as an R1/column-shift, heavy-duty Flightomatic running F/SA, but Gordon later configured it as an R2 to run C/SA.[:0]

Ironically, I learned that only two weeks ago, when I got a letter from SDCer Ken Pyle in Jacksonville OR. Ken had seen the Collectible Automobile article and wrote to say how much he enjoyed not only the article, but the long-lost reference to the Warren & Day 1963 R1 Lark Standard on Page 64.

Ken knew the car 'way back in 1966, when he was friends with Gordon Williams' son Ron. Ken reported quite a few things about Gordon and Jerri (Gordon's wife) and their son Ron. Ken said Gordon and Jerri had campaigned a 1958 Packard wagon[:0], of all things, in NHRA stock classes before getting the Lark in '63. Jerri drove the Packard; Gordon tuned it. (The Packard's weight must have broken just right for a certain weight class; they sure wouldn't select it for aerodynamics!)

I guess the statute of limitations has run out, so I can post Ken's remarks that Gordon had some Granatelli "help" on the 1963 Standard once Gordon configured it as an R2. 'Seems as though it benefitted from Granatelli cylinder head and intake manifold massaging.[:0][)]

As a result of all this, Ken's letter stated, "One cool night at Lions [drag strip], Gordon ran a best of 11.87." COOL! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob: Have to correct the spelling of Lions drag strip. It was named by Micky Thomson after getting the Lions club of Long Beach to sponsor it. He had been turned down for the managers job of the San Gabriel Drag Strip(had already had a man for the job),so used his golden tongue to get the Lions strip going.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Duly noted, Dick; thanks. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wouldn't that name be spelled Mickey Thompson?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
            "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

The top two cars are the ones i dont have many info on other whats written on the cars. The 55 (Early) says it has a 259. Was a 259 an extra cost option that early? And he has gone from P/Stock to N/Stock could explain why he jumped 2 classes. Although NHRA did drop the lower classes around 1967-68.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by clonelark

The 55 (Early) says it has a 259. Was a 259 an extra cost option that early? And he has gone from P/Stock to N/Stock could explain why he jumped 2 classes. Although NHRA did drop the lower classes around 1967-68.
                Bob: You are correct, the 162 HP 259 would not have been available in an early 1955 Commander Custom 2-door.

However, chances are good that NHRA treated the entire 1955 model year as one year. So, if the 259 / 162 HP engine was available at any time in a 1955 Commander, they'd consider it legit. (There's probably not one NHRA official in a thousand that would know the difference between first-series and second-series 1955 Studebakers anyway.) BP

Comment

Good thing my name wasn't Farmer Duke huh

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

(There's probably not one NHRA official in a thousand that would know the difference between first-series and second-series 1955 Studebakers anyway.) BP
                    You'd be surprized Bob. I didn't find out until his passing back in 1993- but there was a very active SDC Member in the Pacific NorthWest who was also active in the NHRA back in the day. He would've known!!! Two of his cars are now in the SNM- one of them is a certain white '64 sedan with an R1 under the hood...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

(There's probably not one NHRA official in a thousand that would know the difference between first-series and second-series 1955 Studebakers anyway.) BP
                      You'd be surprized Bob. I didn't find out until his passing back in 1993- but there was a very active SDC Member in the Pacific NorthWest who was also active in the NHRA back in the day. He would've known!!! Two of his cars are now in the SNM- one of them is a certain white '64 sedan with an R1 under the hood...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                      Well, Dave, maybe there was 1 in 1,000! That was him! BP

Comment

4th down is the crock a gator. Two heads. I think from Florida but forget the name now. Ted knows the car and owner.

Comment

Crock on one end Gator on the other He's mad cause he cant crap.

Comment

Working...
                          X