S2D @ GNRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2D @ GNRS

The Ute is the second car that I have had in the Grand National Roadster Show. 9 years ago, when S2D was fresh, it too was accepted to the big dance. At that time, the GNRS was in the Cow Palace in San Francisco.

S2D was just finished and fresh at this point. I went on to drive it over 35,000 miles...including participation in Americruise...over the next 8 years.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick

Durn that is pretty, really like the Torq Thrusts.

Bob[]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob
      really like the Torq Thrusts.

They are actually made by a company called Crestline in the 1960's in Walnut Creek, CA. Several companies were doing American Mag knock offs then.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well, you learn something every day. I thought the GNRS was always in the Los Angeles area![:0] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Well, you learn something every day. I thought the GNRS was always in the Los Angeles area![:0] BP
          The Grand National Roadster Show originated in Oakland, CA, in 1950. At that time it was called the Oakland Roadster Show. In the mid 50's the name changed to the National Roadster Show.

It has been at several venues in the San Francisco Bay Area over the years. This is the 6th year in a row that the show has been held at the Pomona Fairplex.

It is the longest running car show in the world.

It is the home of the AMBR (America's Most Beautiful Roadster). The first winner was Bill Niekamp in 1950. That car was on display at this year's show...

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Bob, I thought you would have seen that the Ute was in Oakland originally in that brochure! I like that San Francisco venue. Looks like a wild rodeo in there from above with S2D. Makes it easy to get a wide shot of them all. [^]

Comment

Dick: Do you have access to all the GNRS "Most Beautiful Roadsters" award winners through the years?

If so, I'm fairly sure that a long-lost acquaintance, Tim Thompson, won the award with his '32 Ford highboy maybe 20-25 years ago, although that's a wild guess. It was unusual in that it was painted a soft chiffon green, not unlike the Ute's Chippewa Green, only softer yet.

In the following thread I discussed my relationship with Tim, although I haven't seen or had occasion to speak to him for probably 20 years, or more (time flies):

BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Bob, I thought you would have seen that the Ute was in Oakland originally in that brochure!
                [:0] Right-O, Dave. ('Just hadn't put two and two together...) BP

Comment

darn I still love that car...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma
                    [:0] Right-O, Dave. ('Just hadn't put two and two together...) BP

Did it actually make it there by yesterday?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Dick: Do you have access to all the GNRS "Most Beautiful Roadsters" award winners through the years?

I don't have a list, Bob, and I can't find one on line. I am told that this book has a list of the winners from 1950-2000

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I can't get over how nice that coupe looks - last fall it looked every bit as fresh as in your photos.

Thanks for posting that photo of the Niekamp Roadster...with its understated colors, belly pan and airfoils over the rear springs. That one and the Frank Mack roadster get me every time.

Though I miss the proximity of Cow Palace, I can't blame them for moving the GNRS to Pomona. SoCal has such a comparatively huge population of rodders.

Andy
                        62 GT

Andy
                        62 GT

Comment

Working...
                        X