This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost got there

Yesterday I plugged the remaining holes in the cooling system on my 1952 232, with a couple of rubber plugs and a nice piece of maple firewood, gave her a little gas and a little electricity, and - I got a little smoke. Turns out that those 6 spark plug wires of questionable age no longer conduct electricity. The two that were missing and got replaced by some leftover Jeep wires work just fine, except that 2 cylinders firing won't carry the other 6. So close! Oh well, I guess it's time to pry open the wallet and actually go buy some new wires. I did however learn a couple things (other than to buy new wires): one, I must have taken that little plate off the back of the left cylinder head sometime or other, as water poured right out, someone should have made a new gasket; and two, the oil pump pumps oil. I put a peice of silicone tubing on the oil gauge hose and directed the oil back into the filler cap, I could see the oil when it got into the tubing (and also a little bit later when it started coming out from under the left rocker arm cover. Apparently that bead of silicone I stuck on there as a temp. gasket was a little thin in one spot); and three, if you send the 5 year old to church with the grandparents and the cold keeps the wife and the 2 year old in the house, one can actually accomplish quite a bit in a short amount of time.

Sounds like if you can keep the pantleg pullers distracted long enough for you to apply those new wires and a bit more silicone seal, you're gonna have a running 232 on your hands.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sounds like if you can keep the pantleg pullers distracted long enough for you to apply those new wires and a bit more silicone seal, you're gonna have a running 232 on your hands.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Keep us posted on the progress. I also started my 52 for the first time, but I bought my car without an engine, so it now has a 63 289 in it. I didn't let it run long because I didn't have the cooling system hooked up. It is always a great feeling to hear that exhaust noise for the first time!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Keep us posted on the progress. I also started my 52 for the first time, but I bought my car without an engine, so it now has a 63 289 in it. I didn't let it run long because I didn't have the cooling system hooked up. It is always a great feeling to hear that exhaust noise for the first time!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Yesterday I got 8 shiny new spark plug wires on the 232, put the green stuff back in the cooling system, put a little gas in the top, and made a lot of smoke! There is one more Studebaker engine back in working order! Well, almost. after adjusting the timing a few times and starting it several times, some crud must have broke loose in the (as yet untouched ) carb. I took a chance that maybe, just maybe, the carb would still work. And it did for a bit.

I know a lot of you hear the song all the time, but boy, the first time she sings it, it sure sounds sweet! I thought it would be louder, dumping the exhaust right out of the manifolds, but it wasn't bad. Of course, I didn't get the chance to really open up those throttle plates yet.

I wanted to tear into the carb yesterday and see if I could get it fixed, but it was time to do something a little more practical, like get some real paint on that rust repair I had to do to the side of the daily driver. With the temperature in the upper 40's I didn't figure I would get any better day this season to spread some paint. And I didn't like the idea of having road salt chewing on my new patch just yet. The dog and the kids weren't much trouble yesterday, so the cats decided to try their hand at 'helping'. Anyone want to buy a silver-tailed black cat? Low miles, new paint! I'll let it go real cheap! I'll even box it up for you!

Comment

Yesterday I got 8 shiny new spark plug wires on the 232, put the green stuff back in the cooling system, put a little gas in the top, and made a lot of smoke! There is one more Studebaker engine back in working order! Well, almost. after adjusting the timing a few times and starting it several times, some crud must have broke loose in the (as yet untouched ) carb. I took a chance that maybe, just maybe, the carb would still work. And it did for a bit.

I know a lot of you hear the song all the time, but boy, the first time she sings it, it sure sounds sweet! I thought it would be louder, dumping the exhaust right out of the manifolds, but it wasn't bad. Of course, I didn't get the chance to really open up those throttle plates yet.

I wanted to tear into the carb yesterday and see if I could get it fixed, but it was time to do something a little more practical, like get some real paint on that rust repair I had to do to the side of the daily driver. With the temperature in the upper 40's I didn't figure I would get any better day this season to spread some paint. And I didn't like the idea of having road salt chewing on my new patch just yet. The dog and the kids weren't much trouble yesterday, so the cats decided to try their hand at 'helping'. Anyone want to buy a silver-tailed black cat? Low miles, new paint! I'll let it go real cheap! I'll even box it up for you!

Comment

Working...
              X