Truck sales figures--1959

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck sales figures--1959

Our newspaper still carries (although with some irregularity) Auto Album by Tad Burness. These are the hand-drawn features Tad has been drawing since--well, it seems forever. A recent one featuring a 1959 Dodge truck included the sales figures for trucks. And because it includes large truck manufacturers, this is ALL trucks, not just pickups.

1. Chevrolet 305,837
    2. Ford 292,338
    3. International 108,838
    4. GMC 69,431
    5. Dodge 52,107
    6. Willys 20,050 (+10,576 Jeeps)
    7. White 15,468
    8. Mack 13,472
    9. Studebaker 5906
    10. Diamond T 3007
    11. Brockway 1196
    All Others 41,965 (Reo, Kenworth, Divco, Etc.)

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Wow! a TENTH of what Dodge built and a TWENTIETH of what International built.
    Too bad Stude treated their truck division like a stepchild after the success of the 2R line.[V]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Good to hear Auto Album is still being published, Kurt. I always enjoyed it but haven't seen it for years. I wish it was still available in the central Indiana market.

Yes, those truck sales are illuminating, aren't they...and that's with all the showroom traffic initiated by the Lark to boot! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I beg to differ with the production figure noted by Mr. Burness concerning the production of 1959 Studebaker trucks. I do not know where he found this figure, but according to the research of Fred K. Fox, Asa Hall, and others who pay a lot of attention to trucks, the total production of Studebaker trucks of all models for 1959 was 8890 units. You're right, still not much compared to the other large manufacturers.

Of the 8890 units, 4447 units were the Scotsman models (50% of production) and 155 units were 4X4's.

I realize this doesn't change Studebaker's position, but it's better than protrayed by Mr. Burness's figure. I'll stand by ours.

Frank Drumheller
        Louisa, VA
        60S-W6
        1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Comment

Ya know, I've found very obvious errors in Tad Burness' presentations regarding Studebakers in the past. I wonder what reference material he uses.[)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What Frank and Biggs said: The 5,906 figure seems low. Perhaps it's the old conflict between calendar-year sales versus model-year sales? BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Good to hear Auto Album is still being published, Kurt. I always enjoyed it but haven't seen it for years. I wish it was still available in the central Indiana market.

Yes, those truck sales are illuminating, aren't they...and that's with all the showroom traffic initiated by the Lark to boot! BP

While this particular feature appeared in our Fresno Bee January 3, 2009, the date on the drawing (which he always includes [just like all comics]) is 9/21 and the copyright is 2008. I suspect the irregular appearance of this feature and of Vern Parker's column is due to the dearth of car dealer ads. This day's auto section (and it is a section by itself) had only the following dealer display ads: 1/2 page from the Honda dealer, one full page from the Ford dealer, and a two page spread from one multi-make dealer containing one page for Chevrolet/Caddilac/Hummer and the other page for Toyota/Volkswagen.

Tad Burness welcomes mail from readers. His address is "Auto Album," P.O. Box 247, Pacific Grove, CA 93950. include a SASE if you would like a reply.

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

As we all know, Stude sold a lot of M series and early 2R series trucks, but sales fell off thereafter. Here are some US total truck registration data from 1951 (first number) and 1950 (second number), supposedly from Automotive News. I am suspicious about how precipitously Stude truck registrations decreased in just one year -- seems way more than other brands. I know vehicle production was reduced due to the Korean War, but Stude was still pretty competitive in 1951.
                1. Chevy: 1951: 350,344; 1950: 414,496
                2. Ford: 250,802; 315,912
                3. Dodge: 106,600; 99,716
                4. GMC: 100,285; 97,200
                5. International: 95,184; 97,818
                6. Stude: 32,675; 45,881
                Remaining brands:
                7. Willys
                8. White
                9. Mack
                10. Diamond T
                11. Divco