Can a 57 GH gas tank be drained?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a 57 GH gas tank be drained?

I have been contemplating dropping the gas tank on my car to drain and flush it. While I was crawling around underneath it, I noticed some type of bolt in the center of the tank. Is this a drain plug, or is it for something else? It is kind of a funny looking thing, with a very thin shoulder, but it does look hexagonal, like a bolt or nut. Will I run into any problems if I take it out? May seem like a stupid question, but better safe than sorry.

Hard to say without seeing your tank, but many times it's not worth the risk; if you tear the bung (female side of the plug), you've got a problem that needs fixing.

You might want to try soaking it with a good penetrant like Deep Creep- soak it a couple times a day for several days, then tap it lightly with a hammer and try it; repeat if necessary. If it doesn't come out fairly easily, you're better off leaving it alone and just dropping the tank.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

When you get it cleaned you should find that it is a SQUARE recessed female drain plug, a 3/8" ratchet may in fact plug into it. However as Bob (bams50) said, do not expect it to be easy! I would not put undue force on it, and not until soaking it, or it's threaded bushing that is soldered into the tank will tear out.

A drain petcock will go in there IF it comes out, but I believe it was Bob who thought that was risky because of possibility of it getting open accidentally, some like myself do not think it's an issue, but best to be warned. It's your car, you decide! [^]

The truth is Jerry, that on cars this old, if they have endured long storage like most, that drain is not going to help, it needs to be removed, cleaned and flushed and coated with Aircraft tank sealer by a Radiator shop anyway if it really is rusty or very dirty inside that you cannot rinse out. Removing the gauge sending unit (accessed from trunk) will allow you to look inside to find out! [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That sounds like a great idea. (looking through the sender hole in the trunk to check out the tank)

Has anybody done a cleaning, or at least sucking out some of the old gas through this hole? (I can't look at any of my cars until some of this snow melts)

Paul

Comment

You may get lucky.
          I sprayed the plug on my '53 with PB Blaster, fully expecting it to be near impossible without damage. It backed out easily.
          I then had the tank cooked and sealed, then chased the threads on the drain...ready for another fifty years!

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I wouldn't mess with it.
            Drop the tank and send it away to have it professionally cleaned and coated both inside and out and pressure tested.

Comment

Above advice is correct.

I'll add another warning: even stale gas, 25 or more years old, is still HIGHLY flammable. Don't let that gooey, varnishy appearance fool you! Handle- and dispose of- as carefully as any fuel[B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I have had some success cleaning tanks that are sludged up by removing the tank, dropping a piece of chain in, pouring some laquer thinner in and shaking the fool out of it. NT

Neil Thornton
                Hazlehurst, GA
                '57 Silver Hawk
                '56 Sky Hawk
                '51 2R16 dump truck
                Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Neil, do you have video of that? I'd like to see that fool drop out.

Comment

I use Draino and hot water. (Be careful)

JDP/Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Neil, do you have video of that? I'd like to see that fool drop out.
                      Just another piece of that charming southern dialect! NT

Neil Thornton
                      Hazlehurst, GA
                      '57 Silver Hawk
                      '56 Sky Hawk
                      '51 2R16 dump truck
                      Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I use Draino and hot water. (Be careful)

Good tip. Never thought of that.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockinhawk

dropping a piece of chain in, pouring some laquer thinner in and shaking the fool out of it.
                          My local guy uses chain, He even uses various sizes depending on the situation. Also uses bony gravel, washers, etc. He built a machine that tumbles the tanks, with a fixture he custom-modifies to fit each tank. He cuts a door out big enough to clearly inspect the inside; and when it's clean he re-welds the door and coats it inside and out.

Did the one for the Provincial for $200 total. Can't argue with that!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Does anyone make reproduction tanks?

Comment

NO! None that would appear original. But anyone with some sheet metal, a welder and the experience to properly use it could produce a functional tank.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X