• Show
Clear All

• December 1963 All Over Again???

I just read on Autoblog where GM & AM General have announced that
    200 workers at the Mishawka plant will be laid off until at least
    March.

The H2 & HMMWV are assembled there.

The workers may be moved over to the military side, as it's not
    certain whether civilian production will resume.

Does anyone from South Bend area know anymore details?

I am not sure about the details that you seek, but I will throw in some two cents here...

In my opinion, the civilian hummers, every one of them, were overkill. They cost too much and had no real purpose other than to make some little guy feel big. (or big guys bigger) I think they should have stopped makimg them before they started. I am sorry if any of you own these, as this is not meant as a personal attack, I just think they were superflous. (sp?)

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Comment

My 2 cents: the H2 and H3 were/are fairly harmless.
      The H2 is a rebodied 4wd Surburban while the H3 is a rebodied small GM SUV...it's not even made in Indiana. Guys pay a bit more to look macho...that's been going on since the dawn of the automobile and the reason for the birth of the hot rod and aftermarket.

True, not many folks need an H1, but there are some who do (like utility companies out west) and guys who THINK they do.
      After this winter, I'd love to get a civil H1...and never worry about snow again.
      As the ads say..Used civil H1, $40,000. Price of mind: priceless.
      Besides, I could use it to drop my RN wife off at work...

Hey, live & let live. And I wish the guys who make them luck. I'd hate to be an autoworker right now.
      If some folks had their way, Studes (old polluting things, you know ) would be crushed and we'd be driving souless appliances.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Even H1's can get stuck.
        I have seen the (and driven)M998's and M1026's in stuck situations in very deep mud and snow.
        Its like driving a very wide short schoolbus.

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28

59 Lark
        etc

Comment

Anything can get stuck. Like my Dad used to say about out farm truck, "Anybody can get one stuck, it takes a fool to get one buried."

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
          Jim
          Often in error, never in doubt
          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here ya go, since we are on the subject of Hummers!!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Comment

You know, back in Christmas of '63 most X brand people would have called owning a Studebaker superfluous. It's all perspective. I live in the snow belt, south of a Great Lake (except this week) and I need a tall suspension to get through the serious snow there. I have a '97 Tahoe that I bought used in Matthews, NC many moons ago. That truck has served me extremely well. My out of work neighbor likes to make fun of it as environmentally unsound as he drives his new Snoberoo around to drop his RN wife off at work. She's the only one making the payments, I remind him; mine's paid off. He's not an out of work autoworker, he's just 45 years into private school lazy. Not too many industries untouched by this recession, no matter where you work, though.

Comment

Yep-any vehicle can get stuck.. It wasn't stuck,but I did see one broke down on the interstate today! [run out of gas maybe???][}]

Oglesby,Il.
                Anybody that drives faster than me is a maniac.Anybody that drives slower than me is an idiot.
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

As I've said before, you think things have been tough? You haven't seen anything yet[V]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I watched a friend get an H2 stuck one time. He happened to be hooked back to back to my 78 scout at the time though

He was sure his overgrown Chevy would pull that scout backwards. Instead he went straight down to the axles, and the scout never budged. Some people just wont listen. Scout = heavy.

Comment

A friend of mine in Washington state has photos of his '74 Jeep Wagoneer pulling a semi-tractor/trailer rig out of a ditch it had slid into from an icy road. Great trucks...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                      X