This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '48 Land Cruiser (UPDATE!)

Well, looks as though Jimmy Carter found himself a '48 Land Cruiser. As some of you may know, his first new car out of the Navy was a '48 Land Cruiser. This one was in Brunswick at an import garage where me and my grandad spotted it a few months ago at a chapter meeting. We stopped in and found out the owners name and looked over the car. Anyways, to make a long story short, the owner decided to donate it to the Library and we were in charge of getting it and storing it. It's a nice orignal car, with about 50% of the original paint still on it. The interior is really nice, except the front seat. The big six engine runs really smooth and strong, although the clutch disk is stuck. We tried cranking it in gear and even drove it down the road, but nothing freed it up. Does anyone have any tricks that might help; OTHER than pulling the trans?

It was a long drive, but we made it back OK.

I just love that dash with all that faux woodgrain and the shiny stainless! [] Carpeting is original. Note push button radio.

Pics of the car here.

EDIT: See bottom.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

quote:The other thing would be to drop the tranny and bell housing, take the pressure plate off and clean things up. It's been too long since I had the tranmission off and I don't know if you can loosen up the springs on the pressure plate with just the tranny off or not. If so, you could do that, replace the tranny and yank it, but then you'd have to tighten the springs back up evenly and you really need to measure them for the correct free length.

If you do get it loose by pulling it, do some serious clutch slipping to clean things up. I didn't do enough and three days later the clutch was stuck again just as tight as before. I figure if several good jerks doesn't break things free, I'd rather drop the bellhousing than have to go hunting a replacement pressure plate and clutch plate that was torn up. Good luck. Oh, cool car!
    That's the thing, we're trying to get out of pulling the trans. [xx(] If we had a lift, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I posted this on the NG and a few easy tricks have been mentioned there, so we're going to try all that we can before we pull the trans. Hopefully we can free it up for the Christman parade next weekend. [8D]

EDIT: my reply was posted above a few other posts. I sure hope this can be fixed easily Mr. Shaw!

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

quote:The other thing would be to drop the tranny and bell housing, take the pressure plate off and clean things up. It's been too long since I had the tranmission off and I don't know if you can loosen up the springs on the pressure plate with just the tranny off or not. If so, you could do that, replace the tranny and yank it, but then you'd have to tighten the springs back up evenly and you really need to measure them for the correct free length.

If you do get it loose by pulling it, do some serious clutch slipping to clean things up. I didn't do enough and three days later the clutch was stuck again just as tight as before. I figure if several good jerks doesn't break things free, I'd rather drop the bellhousing than have to go hunting a replacement pressure plate and clutch plate that was torn up. Good luck. Oh, cool car!
      That's the thing, we're trying to get out of pulling the trans. [xx(] If we had a lift, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I posted this on the NG and a few easy tricks have been mentioned there, so we're going to try all that we can before we pull the trans. Hopefully we can free it up for the Christman parade next weekend. [8D]

EDIT: my reply was posted above a few other posts. I sure hope this can be fixed easily Mr. Shaw!

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, Georgia
      '59 Scotsman PU
      '63 Daytona HT

Comment

Not to state any political preferance, but what a waste of a good Studebaker [}]

Kent

Comment

Not to state any political preferance, but what a waste of a good Studebaker [}]

Kent

Comment

I partly agree with you Kent. This car is a nice, unrestored car that really deserves to be driven, not sitting in a museum. My grandad wants to swap the engine with the one in the dump truck, as this one runs so much better. [)]

However, it will be taken care of and preserved, just as it has been since 1948.

Also, it has a SDC decal in the windwhield, so it's been in the club before. Does anyone know the car?

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, Georgia
            '59 Scotsman PU
            '63 Daytona HT

Comment

I partly agree with you Kent. This car is a nice, unrestored car that really deserves to be driven, not sitting in a museum. My grandad wants to swap the engine with the one in the dump truck, as this one runs so much better. [)]

However, it will be taken care of and preserved, just as it has been since 1948.

Also, it has a SDC decal in the windwhield, so it's been in the club before. Does anyone know the car?

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, Georgia
              '59 Scotsman PU
              '63 Daytona HT

Comment

It's not unusual for a former President's car to be part of their library or Museum. Harry Truman's last car is still parked where it was when he past away in Independence, MO. It's a '72 Chrysler New Yorker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

It's not unusual for a former President's car to be part of their library or Museum. Harry Truman's last car is still parked where it was when he past away in Independence, MO. It's a '72 Chrysler New Yorker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                  Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                  LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Just to make it clear, this isn't the car Jimmy Carter bought, it just happens to be the same model/year.

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, Georgia
                    '59 Scotsman PU
                    '63 Daytona HT

Comment

Just to make it clear, this isn't the car Jimmy Carter bought, it just happens to be the same model/year.

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, Georgia
                      '59 Scotsman PU
                      '63 Daytona HT

Comment

There's probably two ways to break the clutch loose. I had a Ford Tempo that set for several years and the clutch stuck. I took a very heavy duty tow strap (20,000 lb rating I think), hooked each end onto a good solid place (I used the rear axle) and jerked it with a tractor. I had to get up a little speed and the rear end of the car came off the ground but it did break loose after a couple of tries. I wouldn't use one of the common little tow straps because I can see something breaking and the hook coming back and killing the puller. I used the strap because it didn't give the sudden, no give jerk that breaks chains, tears off bumpers, rips holes in frames or crushes springs on the clutch plate. I put the car in a higher gear so the engine could turn a bit and provide some give. Maybe between the stretching of the tow strap and the engine turning a bit, that's why it took several tries, but I didn't want to rip the lining off the clutch plate. If you have to put it in low gear, something is going to have to give so try it in grass or a gravel road so the wheels can slip if necessary.

The other thing would be to drop the tranny and bell housing, take the pressure plate off and clean things up. It's been too long since I had the tranmission off and I don't know if you can loosen up the springs on the pressure plate with just the tranny off or not. If so, you could do that, replace the tranny and yank it, but then you'd have to tighten the springs back up evenly and you really need to measure them for the correct free length.

Comment

There's probably two ways to break the clutch loose. I had a Ford Tempo that set for several years and the clutch stuck. I took a very heavy duty tow strap (20,000 lb rating I think), hooked each end onto a good solid place (I used the rear axle) and jerked it with a tractor. I had to get up a little speed and the rear end of the car came off the ground but it did break loose after a couple of tries. I wouldn't use one of the common little tow straps because I can see something breaking and the hook coming back and killing the puller. I used the strap because it didn't give the sudden, no give jerk that breaks chains, tears off bumpers, rips holes in frames or crushes springs on the clutch plate. I put the car in a higher gear so the engine could turn a bit and provide some give. Maybe between the stretching of the tow strap and the engine turning a bit, that's why it took several tries, but I didn't want to rip the lining off the clutch plate. If you have to put it in low gear, something is going to have to give so try it in grass or a gravel road so the wheels can slip if necessary.

The other thing would be to drop the tranny and bell housing, take the pressure plate off and clean things up. It's been too long since I had the tranmission off and I don't know if you can loosen up the springs on the pressure plate with just the tranny off or not. If so, you could do that, replace the tranny and yank it, but then you'd have to tighten the springs back up evenly and you really need to measure them for the correct free length.

Comment

Try this Matthew. Jack the car up and put jack stands under the rear axle. Put blocks in front of the front wheels. Put the car in high gear, start it and run it up to about 30 mph, then hit the brakes as hard as you can. The engine will either stall or the clutch will break loose. I did this with a 53 Champion and the clutch broke loose on the third try.

Terry

Comment

Try this Matthew. Jack the car up and put jack stands under the rear axle. Put blocks in front of the front wheels. Put the car in high gear, start it and run it up to about 30 mph, then hit the brakes as hard as you can. The engine will either stall or the clutch will break loose. I did this with a 53 Champion and the clutch broke loose on the third try.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X