GNRS update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNRS update

Just want to take a minute to let folks know that the GNRS show is awesome. I have not noticed a post from Mr. Steinkamp in a few days so he maybe wireless-less.

Here's a quick shot of the Ute at the show and and a shot of a nice young fellow we met in the area. Aka Lee Talbot, the original builder of the Ute. Great guy and super to talk too.

Still need to meet Dick, but the Ute needs to be seen in person to appreciate the build quality.

You can't appreciate this show until you see it.

Bob [][][]

Thanks for posting. Love the color. It really stands out in the crowd.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

Here's a quick shot of the Ute at the show and...Lee Talbot, the original builder of the Ute. Great guy and super to talk too.
      sweetolbob, u da BOM! (...um...my nephews tell me that's a good thing )

Glad you made it (almost) all the way to the other end of Route 66 safely and appear to be having a super time. Looking forward to future reports. Thanks for the pics.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
      In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
      If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Looks great. Hope every magazine editor/photographer out there wants a feature.

ChopStu
        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Bob. Lee looks happy about it. he must be proud, too. [^] I see he went without the Kart in the trunk for the first day. That color looks unbelievable in there, wow!

Comment

I am here, too, Bob. Got to meet Lee, and met up with Dick, and Jon Falcon, who did the bodywork, and Brian Curtis. Walked my little footsies off. too. Incredible show!

Got to hit the sack for more walking tomorrow!

BTW, right across the aisle from the Ute, is George Barris' Ala Kart. Dick couldn't have asked for a more prominent show spot!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thank you for the update, Bob. I was really planning to fly over, but other obligations did not allow it this time.

It is good to see how well Dick's Ute stands out from the crowd there.
              The color choice really was just right.[]

I found another site with some pics of Ute at GNRS and thought that I would post the link.

Pekka

1955 President State Coupe

1961 Lark Regal VIII Convertible
              sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks Pekka for the link, they have amazing pics over there!

I see that one of the last minute finishing touches that Dick and his crew did was to remove the Oil Filter and do a nice install of a fuel block making a bracket to mount it on the filler pipe in place of the Filter. Looks good! The vintage transparent red plastic fuel hose is totally '50's-'60's era correct, even though as most of us learned later, not the most durable!

What I want to know is, do any of you Custom Rodders remember what THAT TYPE of fuel block does? I am sure it does more than split the lines, or Dick would have used a Tee! [:0] Is it a Filter, Press. Reg. or both? [?]

If Dick decides to ever actually start it and drive it, which I think he will, he always has the option to move the fuel block and install the oil filter again.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Thanks Pekka for the link, they have amazing pics over there!

I see that one of the last minute finishing touches that Dick and his crew did was to remove the Oil Filter and do a nice install of a fuel block making a bracket to mount it on the filler pipe in place of the Filter. Looks good! The vintage transparent red plastic fuel hose is totally '50's-'60's era correct, even though as most of us learned later, not the most durable!

What I want to know is, do any of you Custom Rodders remember what THAT TYPE of fuel block does? I am sure it does more than split the lines, or Dick would have used a Tee! [:0] Is it a Filter, Press. Reg. or both? [?]

If Dick decides to ever actually start it and drive it, which I think he will, he always has the option to move the fuel block and install the oil filter again.

I agree that it was quite a neat adjustment with the removal of the oilfilter and going for the red transparent fuel lines etc.[]

1955 President State Coupe

1961 Lark Regal VIII Convertible
                  sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

From my conversation with Dick when he gave me a preview last weekend, he LOVES vintage speed equipment, as this gorgeous engine is dripping with it. Sure, he could have used a "T" fitting, but in this case, the fuel block with "Fenton" cast in its side is one of those small details, the sum of which took this rig from "sweet" to "STUNNING."[]

His placement in this show is a testament to his thorough sense of detail - restrained and elegant in color and style balanced with a treasure of rare gems under the hood.

As Gord mentioned, he's in very good company. In addition to Ala Kart, he's also adjacent to Blackie Gegeian's "T" Roadster that took top honors at GNRS in 1955 and Pebble Beach in 1998. It's a good thing Dick preserved the "trophy compartment" beneath the bed of the Ute...

Incidentally, Gegeian collaborated with Richard Peters (also of Fresno) to build Ala Kart, though most associate the project exclusively with Barris.

Andy
                    62 GT

Andy
                    62 GT

Comment

Working...
                    X