0000 steel wool with WD40 for chrome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0000 steel wool with WD40 for chrome.

I saw that someone had mentioned using 00 or 000 steel wool on chrome to spruce it up. I just wanted to share a method of using 000 or 0000 wool with WD40. The 40 offers lubricant and cleaner while the wool does the dirty work. It has turned out to work better than the wool alone. It also leaves a little protection on the chrome if its left to the elements. Any one else have chrome cleaning methods that work on the older chrome.??

sals54
    sals54

I've always used 0000 exclusively for chrome, stainless and glass. Any more coarse and it scratches. I have tried the WD-40 and metal polish. Both work. OOOO works great to get crud off of glass safely. I was shocked the first time I tried it.

Comment

Sal, do you think it will remove this blotch on my front bumper, it looks like the car overheated years ago and it got on the chrome[:0]

Comment

Chrome polish applied with crumpled up aluminum foil. seriously.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

That really looks more like a cooling system cleaner..ACID stain.
          Also the purple bottle of Super Clean engine degreaser will do that and de-anodize the Aluminum grille in the '64 & '65's and since your grille looks painted silver, that could be what happened to it also!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

That really looks more like a cooling system cleaner..ACID stain.
            Also the purple bottle of Super Clean engine degreaser will do that and de-anodize the Aluminum grille in the '64 & '65's and since your grille looks painted silver, that could be what happened to it also!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
            Thats the only spot on the bumper but the grill and headlight buckets were painted silver instead of being chromed
            but I will eventually get to chroming them

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Jason, what have you tried on that so far?

Comment

Originally posted by N8N

Chrome polish applied with crumpled up aluminum foil. seriously.

Nate, I'll have to try that, never heard of that one. Just sounds like a finger nails on a chalk board-type combo.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Jason, what have you tried on that so far?
                  Mothers chrome polish and nevrdull
                  still the same, I think the fact that I can see some copper plating is bad news[:0]

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

vegas, it looks as though the chrome itself is damaged. The acid may have burned the chrome. the steel wool with WD40 would be worth a try, but I would use a small amount in a small area to test it. good luck. the steel wool is primarily for rust and corrosion.

sals54
                    sals54

Comment

The mythbusters used crumpled foil with coca cola,seemed to work as good or better than any commercial products they compared.[it wasn't Studebaker chrome though][:0]

Oglesby,Il.
                      Anybody that drives faster than me is a maniac.Anybody that drives slower than me is an idiot.
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

JLasvegas, is your 64 a two or four head light car? Sasco has NOS grills in two light configuration. Cheap, also have the trim rings.

Bill Foy
                        Kingston, Ontario
                        1964 Wagonaire Slider
                        Bill Foy
                        1000 Islands, Ontario
                        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

My father always used steel wool with liquid turtlewax (in the green bottle). This worked well on "thin" chrome that had rust coming through. I remember him polishing the rusty baby moon hubcaps on the boat trailer many times. I did it myself on some bumpers that had that milky hazy appearance and it perked them up. I don't think I would do use this on some fresh show chrome though....

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

In addition to the spots, it looks like a hand-sized area where the chrome is completely gone and the yellowish nickel is showing. Chrome polish on a rag may partly remove the tarnish from the exposed nickel and make it less visible, but the only real solution is to replate.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Captain Billy

JLasvegas, is your 64 a two or four head light car? Sasco has NOS grills in two light configuration. Cheap, also have the trim rings.

Bill Foy
                              Kingston, Ontario
                              1964 Wagonaire Slider
                              Its a 4 headlight car

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X