HELP!!!!! 66 Daytona Disc brake hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!!! 66 Daytona Disc brake hub

Hello, Im looking for a front hub for a 1966 Daytona for a customers car. He was on his way from the Lancaster meet to Georgia, and the lf wheel bearing went bad. The hub was damaged while trying to remove it to repair the bearings. Anyone have a new one or a good used one....will a drum brake hub work????? Contacted SASCO, and they are no longer available....Please call 717-532-8888 ask for Shawn Bingaman. I will need a cost plus shipping to Shipensburg PA 17272
    Thanks

hmmm, my Wife has 2 GT Hawks, and a 58 Silver Hawk(but whats hers is mine NOW, LOL)...But I still want my Daytona!

E-mail sent.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, almost as soon as I opened this thread tyhe owner found one...Thanks Again

hmmm, my Wife has 2 GT Hawks, and a 58 Silver Hawk(but whats hers is mine NOW, LOL)...But I still want my Daytona!

Comment

For future reference a drum brake hub will work. Also, depending on
        how bad the original one was damaged, you CAN have it machined & then
        sleeved to accept a new bearing race.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

For future reference a drum brake hub will work. Also, depending on
          how bad the original one was damaged, you CAN have it machined & then
          sleeved to accept a new bearing race.
          I have wondered about machining a damaged hub. I have a disc brake hub that was hogged out from a seized outer wheel bearing. A new bearing would just flop around in it. Would there be an oversize race that would work or does the inner portion of the hub have to built up then turned to standard?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I think there are oversize ones available, but maybe not in the size
            that Stude uses. The hub is just a basic casting, turning the inside
            and sleeving it isnt a huge issue, the bearing race is the hardened
            part. One of the hubs I used for my GT Mustang conversion was sleeved
            fron years ago. I would guess about 20 years ago now. A local shop
            did the work for me. Now they have different Loctites to improve the
            hold of the sleeve.

The disc brake hub is machined on the backside to mate with the disc,
            but you CAN make the area on a drum hub look the same. One of those
            hubs on my Hawk (which had '63 GT discs) was a drum hub and they did
            not even machine the backside! They just used the disc brake lugs
            and turned the rotor true. To save the rotor, I would be inclined to
            clean up the backside some.

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
            X