New 63 Wagonaire owner : Parts Questions and More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 63 Wagonaire owner : Parts Questions and More

Just purchased a 63 Wagonaire last week. Nice driver. Some rust issues on the underside (probably caused by salt) but overall a solid car. Just thought it was a cool car and got it at a good price. My wife loves it so I'm having to upgrade it from being a "beater" to making it a ultra safe driver for her. Anyway, any suggestions on links for parts? Definately needs brake lines and motor mounts. Also, the shippers broke off the passenger side mirror so I'm hunting another. Finally, would like to find a site for engine codes to see what I have under the hood. any help appreciated.

NO QUESTIONS ALLOWED WITHOUT PICTURES

Seriously, welcome! That's one of my favorite Studes- definitely something different and fun, and pretty good cars to boot!

There will be plenty of responses here. Let me start with rebuild of the entire brake system, and I recommend converting to a dual master cylinder. Do this first- before any going, it needs to stop correctly.

There are answers to all your questions here, and many more you've yet to think of. Use the Search feature and absorb the wealth of info already written; we'll help you with the rest!

Again, welcome- and WE NEED PICTURES!![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Doug, as a fellow '63 owner, I bid you welcome! You're among friends here

Parts for Studes are, remarkably, pretty easy to come by. Check out www.studebakervendors.com for links to many, many fine purveyors of Studebaker parts.

'63s have quite a few one-year-only trim parts, but a little diligence will usually turn up what you need. And mechanical parts are common to many years, so no worries at all there - you'll easily find everything you need to keep her mechanically sound.

Welcome to the Lark Legion!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks guys. Here are the requested pics.

Comment

A real beauty! I watched that one on eBay, and even bid; just wasn't in my budget currently. That's the one with the older engine, right?

Where are you located?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Nice car...welcome!

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

very nice - I have already logged this car into the Wagonaire Registry. Feel free to provide an update with any information you may want!

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
              53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

welcome to the forum, Wagonaires are too cool

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Doug15

Just purchased a 63 Wagonaire last week. Nice driver. Some rust issues on the underside (probably caused by salt) but overall a solid car. Just thought it was a cool car and got it at a good price. My wife loves it so I'm having to upgrade it from being a "beater" to making it a ultra safe driver for her. Anyway, any suggestions on links for parts? Definately needs brake lines and motor mounts. Also, the shippers broke off the passenger side mirror so I'm hunting another. Finally, would like to find a site for engine codes to see what I have under the hood. any help appreciated.
                  BEATER[?][?][?][?] Come on! That's a beautiful wagon. Sure she has a few issues. Most ladies with a bit of mileage do.

THIS is a beater (LOL):

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Nice car! Welcome to the forum.

Dylan
                    '61 lark deluxe 4dr wagon
                    Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Doug, welcome aboard. I'd love a Wagonaire myself. One word about vendors, most use the original part numbers for their stock. This means you'll be best served by getting a service and parts manual set. The books can be purchased seperately or as a CD-Rom ($24.95). Most vendors carry both book and CD. Best wishes on your new ride.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Wagonaires ahoy! Doug, here's a website featuring my restoration of a 63 Wagonaire (into a 64 Daytona Wagonaire):

Good luck with your car - it looks great!

Scott Rodgers
                        Los Angeles
                        SDC Member since 1989
                        '60 Lark HT
                        '63 Wagonaire
                        Scott Rodgers
                        Los Angeles
                        SDC Member since 1989
                        \'60 Lark HT
                        \'63 Wagonaire
                        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm trying to get info on the engine. In searching some older posts on engine casting numbers, it appears to be an older 289. going to try to check out some more numbers if I can get to the block today. I've been shocked at all the positive feedback I've gotten when driving the car. Seems a lot of people share our taste for this cool wagon. As I said, it has some rust issues on the bottom but it was represented as such and I paid well below what the guys original asking price on eBay was so as they say in the auction world, I felt it was well bought. Any suggestions on resources for engine codes? thanks again.

Comment

Welcome Doug to SDC and to the SDC Forum! Nice car, we all remember watching it on ebay and did not know from his ad if that was a '56-'59 259 Commander Engine or the President 289, but I guessed from the Ford Mustang 289 Emblem on the grille that it most likely IS a 289.

Sorry, it looks like we all forgot to answer that question, the best answer is check out our newly updated and very accurate V-8 Engine number listing!

You go to the SDC Home page and scan down the list of page links on the left for "Tech Tips, Specs and Data", click that then choose "UPDATED Studebaker V-8 Engine Identification". You will find your Engine Serial Number range there. They are found on the Driver's side front corner of the Block, on a machined flat pad and are STAMPED into the block.
                            The raised numbers on the Right side are all the same for each major engine block change as they are part of the casting, those are just the Casting Number.

This usually requires CLEANING the pad to read the stampings. [^] A "P" for President identifies a 289, and a "V" for V-8 identifies a 259, then the numbers will tell the year, but the engines are all the same anyway from '56-'59, which is what I think it is.
                            There are a few other possibilities, but let us know and we can deal with them.

As Tom said, most of us Vendors at studebakervendors.com can help you with parts and the much needed Chassis Parts Catalog, Body Parts Catalog and Shop Manual. All three come on CD ROM Disc. if you prefer that to Books.

From the small Pic, it does not look like it has Studebaker mirrors, so you can remove the right one, and replace the Left one with one of our Studebaker Mirrors or both, for the right side they come with wide angle lenses like the new cars do.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome to the forum Doug, after you get in driving shapr you will find that it is one awsome car to drive, you can do so many things with a wagon, and the sliding roof is just an added feature for more fun. Love those wagons.

clonelark
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X