Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Stude hobby "state of the union " ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Stude hobby "state of the union " ?

After watching much of the Barrett-Jackson auction and reading threads about the results makes me wonder what the future holds for the Studebaker hobby. I don't "flip" cars and am not a vendor, but it would be interesting to get opinions from those who do. Are the "players" that have been around the Studebaker game a long time optimistic about growth and recognition (as classics) than they are now viewed? I don't buy/build cars according to value, but than again; I don't make a living in this game either.

Chuck/Ohio caso 9G-C5

You raise an interesting question. I am an avivd Studebaker nut. With that said, I am also active in other classic car clubs and I see a raised level of interest in Studebakers in these organizations which in my humble opinion bodes well for Studebakers in general. I am constantly asked about where they can be found how expensive are they and what about parts availability. The answers I give always amaze people aand I receive calls all the time asking for help in finding cars, parts and in joining the SDC. So from my point of view it is thriving and well. Studedom that is.

See you in the future as I write about our past
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

This isn't an indicator of value or prices, but our local chapter Karel Staple in Sacramento Northern California area has shown steady growth of members with way more than 60 families in membership. We have had over 20 Studebakers at our November and January meetings, with many being different from one meeting to the other. From that I would say interest is strong at least in our area. We have a number of members that are actively working on projects both stock and modifieds.

Pat

Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I was very pleased to learn that a high school in our Chapter area has received a '52 Champion 2 dr. Sdn and they will be doing a complete rebuild as a school project.[8D] While not directly on point about the $ value of Stude's, it certainly shows an interest in the Marque![^]

We have invited the shop teacher to attend our next Chapter meeting and a number of members are quite enthusiatic about supporting this project.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
        http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

Mark--

Wow...that rocks. Hm. Someone hereabouts ought to do something similar at a school here in Hamilton, final home of the Stude auto plant: how many times does the chance arise to couple an auto-shop project with a history project!

Reminds me of a very nice (though non-Stude) story. I was putting together a small car show at the university here some years back; a doctor from Health Sciences had her very nice '65 Mustang droptop on show. It had been her first new car, in California; when she moved to Ontario (Canada, that is) she brought the 'stang along. Had to store it for the winter. The first night it was in storage...some knucklehead torched the car. Unable to bear parting with her Mustang, the doctor began looking round for possible avenues to get it restored. She encountered an exec of the local Mustang club, who also happened to be an auto-shop teacher...guess what the class's project was that year! The doc had photos of all this...otherwise one would never have believed this lovely Mustang had once, literally, been "toast"...

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57
            I was very pleased to learn that a high school in our Chapter area has received a '52 Champion 2 dr. Sdn and they will be doing a complete rebuild as a school project.
            Will their work be documented anywhere on the web? It would be great to see their work in pics or video.

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
            ~Nitram~
            57 Transtar

Comment

As mentioned, the shop teacher is invited and will likely attend our next Chapter meeting in February... assuming I can get some pictures, I will provide sone additional background and status reports as the project moves along.

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
              May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
              http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
              X