White Knobs & Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Knobs & Switches

On the '64 models, the white knobs and switches have a tendency to yellow over time. Even the NOS parts on the shelf do this. Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem? Has anyone found a paint or dye with will be reasonably long lasting?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

What are they made out of? if you go to antiqueradios.com I'm sure the guys over there will give you 100 ways to fix this... If it's catalin or bakelite or something similar they will have the answer

If it ain't leakin it must be empty

Comment

Though I haven't had this problem I suppose you could look for some good non-yellowed switches. It seems from the cars I have parted the ones with the ridges tend to get worse than the smooth ones. Sherwin Williams makes an interior paint, not a dye, its called Ultra-interior IIRC. I painted the entire interior of a customer's 70 Buick with it seats and all about two years ago it hasen't fallen off yet.

Jon Krimm
      1962 Lark Sedan
      1961 Champ

Comment

Well you do have to keep in mind that they were never actually refrigerator White anyway! The were off-white, and as mentioned the ribbed ones original to '63's and '64 production were more off-white than the smooth ones.

The ribbed ones were a bad design (high failure rate) and the original SASCO replaced them (superseded) with the 1965 smooth type rocker switches.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've prepped and painted those an off white in past cars. They never wore off. Even if they do, prep and paint them again. It's pretty tough to tell from original unless someone has a magnifying glass.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Any thoughts about the window knobs or the same solution?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Mine are black, not a problem, just a masking job for the white ones with the chrome ends...little fingers time. I sand out chrome scratches, then use 0000 steel wool, then polish/buff, prep, then paint the bakelite after the chrome/stainless is done. Same thing with a steering wheel. They make plastic polish, but I've never had good luck with that. It's just work, new ones aren't cheap any more.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Mine are black, not a problem, just a masking job for the white ones with the chrome ends...little fingers time. I sand out chrome scratches, then use 0000 steel wool, then polish/buff, prep, then paint the bakelite after the chrome/stainless is done. Same thing with a steering wheel. They make plastic polish, but I've never had good luck with that. It's just work, new ones aren't cheap any more.
                Thanks! I need to redo my steering wheel and I plan on doing that myself. NOS are still available from SASCO (green) so I'll probably go that route. As for the knobs, I'll try an antique white and see how close I get. My window knobs are not in bad shape so maybe I'll do those when I do the switches. I have a model car airbrush and I'll probably use that to refinish the plastic pieces. Maybe 75% gloss and 25% flattener.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                X