64 paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 paint question

I'm doing some work to my '64 Daytona , the last owner painted the upper air deflector ( under the hood ) body color and its suppost to be black . My question is ; is it a high gloss black or a semi gloss black ? Comments are appreciated .

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

When I got my 64 Daytona, it was pretty much unmolested and appeared to be original paint. The inside of the hood was body color and glossy or it was when it was cleaned, it was shiny.

Comment

At a guess, I would say that it was originally glossy, but a real cheap gloss paint. probably lacquer. I know that that is how the air filters were painted; they went semi-dull almost instantly, but a NOS one is in fact glossy.

ASSuming I am correct a spray can gloss black lacquer would probably be appropriate.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Nate , that is probably the best answer I'll get . Alot of stuff Studebaker painted weren't that great a job thats for sure .

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Bob They started out glossy blackutthey also look good in a semi gloss black RM

Ray Martin

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Thanks Nate , that is probably the best answer I'll get . Alot of stuff Studebaker painted weren't that great a job thats for sure .
            A lot of components such as air filters, oil filter canisters, etc. would have been painted by the vendor, not Studebaker.

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X