Master VIN Cross Reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master VIN Cross Reference

Is there a resource, document, or webiste that effectively gives someone the ability to identify the year and model of a vehicle by serial number?

The parts catalog(s) will do this.

Post what you have and someone here can help you.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

My serial is G1197120. What can you tell me?

Comment

I'm guessing that that's a '52 Champion, South Bend production (oldest book I have goes back to '53; starting serial number was G1197501 for a '53 Champion, South Bend) What does it say on the body tag under the hood? that will give you the body style and trim level. Should look something like

12G-xx
        xxxx

12G is the code for a '52 Champion; the two characters following that will give you the body style and trim level. First character is a letter for the body style, second character a number for trim level. Second row is just the body serial number.

a little more info here:

I can't seem to find a body tag decoder online, and I don't have a '52 parts book or shop manual, you'll have to post back and hopefully someone with the books will reply

HTH

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I can't seem to find a body tag decoder online, and I don't have a '52 parts book or shop manual, you'll have to post back and hopefully someone with the books will reply. nate --
          Some of that info can be found here~

StudeDave '57 [8D]
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Nate is correct. 1952 Champions started with serial number G-1,115,501 (South Bend) and G-907,301 (Los Angeles).

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Took a look at the body code - 12G. She is 52 Champion - thanks guys. BTW - I love that blacksunlight.com website. I am going to keep that one handy.

Comment

You might find the "Standard Catalog of American Cars" from 1946 to 1975 helpful. It is available from the publishers of Old Cars Weekly magazine. You need to do a little hunting in it (for example, if you think your car is a 1952 Studebaker, go to that part of the book. You will find starting serial numbers for everywhere Studebakers were made that year. If your serial number is outside the range, look at earlier or later years in the book. I have found this book very helpful for verifying what year and model many cars are.

Howard

53 Commander Starliner
                Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Apropos of this thread, I remember a few years back someone was trying to put together a list of all the possible permutations of body codes with their descriptions. I remember that he'd asked people with books to take a couple years and type them up and he was going to collate them for some kind of database (maybe a computerized parts database?) I did a couple years and still have the text file on my computer. Anyone remember what I'm talking about, and did the list ever get finished? That'd be a handy reference to throw up online just for questions like this.

So what body style is this '52? Now you have *ME* curious

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

It is a 4 door Champion Regal - suicide doors and all.
                    If you are curious, it is a fresh barn find - sat for 30 years. Great body, interior gone, engine turns. I will be refurbishing it to the point where some can restore it. It is too solid to part out.
                    I guess in a couple of months I will list it in T.W.

Comment

My serial number is e7-8866 that is all I can read. Then the model reads 3ez or 7 or 2-22. Then on the other tag it says 3e-c4 cab number 2529 I'm number t-6051 paint number p5767. Any ideas what I might have

Comment

Sure; a 3E7 is a 1957 or 1958 (there was no difference) V8 1/2 Ton Truck, usually a Pickup.
                        It probably says 3E7-122. A 122In. Wheelbase is a 8 Ft. Bed, there was a 112 In. Wheelbase 6 1/2 Ft. Bed also.
                        The Standard Engine was a 259 cid Studebaker Engine in a Model "7", 3E = a '57 or '58 Transtar.

We can also decode the Engine # for you to see if it might be the Optional 289 Engine if you get the "STAMPED" into the block, not Raised Number from the Driver's side (Left) Front corner of the Block, on Top, next to the Oil Filler Pipe, you may have to clean it off.

All of the other Detail Info would have to come from the Production order which can be purchased at the Studebaker National Museum from our Home Page Link at the Top of this Page, you click Resources, then on the Museum, but here it is for you:

http://www.studebakermuseum.org/

Welcome the SDC and to the SDC Forum Herb, you will get a lot of enjoyment and information from our Monthly Publication "Turning Wheels" a benefit of belonging to the International Organization.
                        You can join at the Home Page Link under the "About" click-down and then "Membership"
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
                          Apropos of this thread, I remember a few years back someone was trying to put together a list of all the possible permutations of body codes with their descriptions. I remember that he'd asked people with books to take a couple years and type them up and he was going to collate them for some kind of database (maybe a computerized parts database?) I did a couple years and still have the text file on my computer. Anyone remember what I'm talking about, and did the list ever get finished? That'd be a handy reference to throw up online just for questions like this.

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          For postwar car models, this information was published in a Fred K. Fox article in the May 2009 "Turning Wheels".
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Herbhall01 View Post
                            My serial number is e7-8866 that is all I can read. Then the model reads 3ez or 7 or 2-22. Then on the other tag it says 3e-c4 cab number 2529 I'm number t-6051 paint number p5767. Any ideas what I might have
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hello, Herbhall01. Let me add my welcome to you. Studerich has also given you some basic, and correct, information from your request. Allow me decode/expand on what has been posted on your truck.

Serial Number- E7-8866
                            E.......code for the series of Studebaker trucks built for model years 1955 through 1964,
                            7.......designates a chassis nominally rated at 1/2 ton with a standard overhead valve V8 engine. In the E series that could be a standard 259 or an optional 289 V8 engine,
                            8866..the sequential order in which this engine came off the engine assembly line for the model year in which it was built. This number is in the block of numbers assigned to the 1957 model year. The first serial number assigned to an E7 chassis in 1957 was #E7-7601 and the last one was #E7-9579. Your truck was in the middle.

Model code- 3E7-22
                            3....indicates the 1957 and 1958 model years for the production of the E series trucks,
                            E....same as above,
                            7....same as above,
                            22..indicates the length of the wheelbase of the chassis measured from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle, in this case a 122 inch wheelbase. As stated, the 122" chassis would accommodate
                            an 8 foot pickup box. The same chassis with a code 12 (112") chassis would accommodate a 6 1/2 foot pickup box.

These two ID's are located on the metal tag attached to the driver's step-well wall under the edge of the seat.

There is another metal tag attached to the cowl wall under the right side of the hood.

Cowl tag- 3E-C4, 2529
                            3....same as above,
                            E....same as above,
                            C....code for 'cab',
                            4....code for a deluxe cab, an upgraded standard cab optional at extra cost.
                            2529..the sequential order in which this cab came off the cab assembly line. The cabs were built at a separate facility and stored in a large warehouse. These was no attempt by the Studebaker Corp. to match cab numbers with chassis (serial) numbers, so this number is meaningless in identification of a Studebaker truck.

Paint number- P-5767
                            P........code for Paint
                            5767..code for a two-tone paint scheme (extra cost option). The two-tone scheme-
                            Lower cab, grille, bumper- Coppertone Metallic
                            Upper cab, wheels - Artic White

I do not have information on a breakout of the Trim codes. The Coppertone and White two-toned trucks were striking vehicles. A relatively rare combo. Congratulations!!!

If you're not confused by now, you'll do fine as a Studebaker nut. If you are confused, welcome to the crowd!! Just keep asking questions, that's how you learn about Studebaker trucks.

You may want to Google the site for Studebaker Truck Talk. There's a lot of trucks nuts over there who are always willing to help.

Frank Drumheller
                            Locust Grove, VA
                            60S-W6
                            M16-52 1948 Boyer-bodied fire truck
                            Last edited by studelark; 02-21-2014, 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by studelark View Post
                              /Cut/8866..the sequential order in which this engine came off the engine assembly line for the model year in which it was built./Cut/
                              A little miss-type here Frank, you meant to say "Truck" here, NOT Engine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57TranstarCoppertone.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1687889
                              Here is a Coppertone and White '57 or '58 3E7-112 Inch Wheelbase Short Bed Transtar.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 02-21-2014, 06:57 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X