Studebaker Meets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Meets

Can anyone tell me why the large International meets always are during the week and only until 5 pm?
    Actually a local person would even have to take off work or take vacation time in order to attend. Someone told me the SDC is a car club for retired guys?

I understand the during the wekek problem, but the meet does not end at 5 PM. Most of the good stuff happens in parking light bull sessions, and at the bar.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

During the Internationl Meets, there are usually events happening at night, such as the welcome night, Cooperator session (during the day), auction, band concert, awards dinner, etc.
      You can participate as much or as little as you wish. Of course, there are always the bull sessions too.
      I know I've left some things out, but you get the point. Theres a lot of stuff to do at these occasions.
      Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Since they are International Conventions, they are planned for people coming from a distance, not the small minority of people coming from close by. There are chapter and Zone Meets on weekends for local people. For the International Conventions, people can travel on the two weekends and spend the week at the convention. This way most people only have to take one week off. If it was held over a weekend, most people would have to take two weeks vacation. For the week of the SDC International Convention I am usually on the go from about 7 AM to Midnight from Monday to Friday. There are so many things going on that you can't do everything. I have been to the majority of SDC International Conventions since 1971. It does not sound as though you have much experience at them or haven't given them a chance to keep you busy.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I think buried in his question is the question of.

Can a non member who happens to be in the local area attend some of the meets events. Like say the judging of the cars which are typically done on a Thursday. Swap meets, can he get a feel for the membership before commiting?
          Typically a Club event doesn't allow outside participation but does SDC? for certain things?
          And through this forums own admission an International Meet is the largest gathering of Studes in one given year,
          Which also feeds the information gathering of Mike N to ask why the "convention" format of Monday through Friday.

I may be way off with my interpretation of the question but that's how I read it.

To newer membership......PROTOCALL....Fitting in......and Expectation can be a bit hazy without a Vetern guide.
          With such a Veteran membership attending an International meet its sometimes not conveyed to newer members what it is that can be done at an International meet.

Those that know....know.

While there is an itenterary, a novice member may not know what the high points of the meet are....while attending, or deciding what day to come.

ChopStu
          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Even Attending an International Meet for the first time can be intimidating. David and I were members for 6 years before we went to one. Chose Omaha to go to from Fresno. Thought combine a visit with his Brother. Well David thought One maybe two days at Omaha would be enough. Well truth be told you need everyday to meet and see as much as you can take in. We had to leave Thursday morning. Boy I wasn't a happy camper. But everyone Welcomed us with open arms. Member or not if you like Studes want to like Studes want to see Studes then you are a Member of us. Just need to make it Official.

Mabel 1949 Champion
            1957 Silverhawk
            1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            1955 President State
            1957 Golden Hawk
            Fresno,Ca
            Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
            Fresno,Ca

Comment

I have to agree somewhat to his comment about the club being for retired guys. I've been battling that in my local club for 30 years. Only recently have they started having any number of local meetings on Saturday instead of Sunday. My Sundays are always booked for family time. I have not joined the local chapter for that reason. I'm only now considering joining so I can participate on the occasional Saturday meetings. Sometimes entrenched Stude people can be immovable.

sals54
              sals54

Comment

Our Iternational Meets are like any number of union conventions or business conventions. We plan for them and arrange our vacations around the Meets. I am retired but still work a full time job, but I make arangments to attend the meets. Have been a member of SDC for 41 years, have only attended 5 International meets, but since I have found out how much fun and interesting they are my plan is not to miss anther one. Thanks to all the friends I have made thru the forum and at the meets I am HOOKED. Thank you all and a very happy new year to all of you.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Mike I used to think the same early on and I was wrong. Also one doesn't have to own an Avanti to "belong" to the club. You can show up with a rusty Lark (I have many, many times) and others will not think differently of you. I too am young and over the past 5 years have noticed an increasing number of individuals my age attending these events. It is a ton of fun and have always felt welcomed with open arms by all.

Because it is a moving event from City to City each year, I highly suggest that one takes vacation time to truly enjoy this event. Go early if you are looking for parts or want to take pics of cars and stay late to unwind and enjoy some good food and great conversation.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                  58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                  58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                  62 Daytona (White)
                  63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
                  57 Packard Wagon parts car
                  57 Packard sedan parts car
                  58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

Comment

Mike, the SDC's International Meets are held through the week as they are week long events with much to do. Many of the evnts are open to the general public as they were in Lancaster this past fall. Since the meet is sponsored by the SDC and in some cases other related clubs such as ASC and AOAI, some of the evnts are for members only. That doesn't mean one can't wonder the parking lots and look at cars and talk to owners. As someone said earlier this event moves around the country each year so we the members of SDC get the opportunity to visit different parts of the country meet our friends and have a great time. Membership in the SDC is a very low $19.95 for the first year and worth every penny of it. Many families make an SDC International their vacation for the year and many members are not retired but choose to come and have fun. If you are referring to the Swap Meet and seminars etc, those that put them own or vend need a break also and want to participate in some of the evening events so the 1700 (5:000 PM) time is established for that reason. Bottom line come join us and join in the fun. I for one am not retired yet I attend these week long events all the time.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike N.

Can anyone tell me why the large International meets always are during the week and only until 5 pm?
                      Actually a local person would even have to take off work or take vacation time in order to attend. Someone told me the SDC is a car club for retired guys?
                      I tend to agree with Mike.

I believe one way we could boost interest in Studebakers and the club is to have AT LEAST our concours on a Saturday or Sunday and ADVERTISE the fact with local car clubs, local print advertising, etc. A local wandering around on a Tuesday evening after work gets to see a tiny portion of the cars that will be on the show grounds Thursday when he's at work. Same with the swap meet. There are essentially no swap meet activities on a weekend day or after 5 pm. Getting folks in the local area to come out and see our cars and everything that goes with them could get renewed interest going in Studebakers.

I know the old argument about vacations, but I think it's more of an argument that "we've always done it this way". We pretty much ARE a club of old farts and changing ANYTHING is somewhat traumatic.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

"We pretty much ARE a club of old farts and changing ANYTHING is somewhat traumatic." - Steinkamp

How did you get over to the computer, Dick, to type out this response? I thought they took away your walker.

Comment

I have attended the majority of SDC Conventions since 1971. I am now retired, but I was working full time for most of those SDC Conventions. I used to take vacation time to attend.
                          Many of those carrying the load (both paid and volunteer) in SDC are individuals that have been highly involved 30 or 40 years. Most of these people are middle aged or older now, but weren't when they first started taking on responsibility in SDC. They were young people then. Where are the young members that should be picking up the leadership roles now (Matthew excepted). A good example is that last year's meet head is the same guy that was meet head in 1980. Another example is that the current SDC President was SDC President in 1981-1982.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by Mike N.

I tend to agree with Mike.

I believe one way we could boost interest in Studebakers and the club is to have AT LEAST our concours on a Saturday or Sunday and ADVERTISE the fact with local car clubs, local print advertising, etc. A local wandering around on a Tuesday evening after work gets to see a tiny portion of the cars that will be on the show grounds Thursday when he's at work. Same with the swap meet. There are essentially no swap meet activities on a weekend day or after 5 pm. Getting folks in the local area to come out and see our cars and everything that goes with them could get renewed interest going in Studebakers.

I know the old argument about vacations, but I think it's more of an argument that "we've always done it this way". We pretty much ARE a club of old farts and changing ANYTHING is somewhat traumatic.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

That is it exactly Dick!
                            I think the swap meet and the car show are the two biggest events the average spectator would be interested in and neither is very accessible to the average person. After hours stuff is fine but I'm talking about bringing my two grandsons, as would a lot of people. They would want to see cars/swap meet stuff and not bull sessions.

Vacation time for younger families can be at a premium and they may not want to allocate and entire week to one show but they would certainly be able to do a weekend or long weekend. I think that along with advertising may even help to boost membership.

It seems most of the big car events have the main events on weekends with the smaller events preceding that by a couple/few days. I know Pebble Beach does and they have people from around the world.

Comment

I tend to agree that in the near future a change could be tried. But as of now dates are set up till 2013(I think). It's done this far in advance mainly for hotel booking and establish a set price and a lot of other things. This subject comes around every couple of years, as does summer or early fall dates. Pro's and Con's to both.

Ebon...

"I sweat alot to keep others cool"

Comment

Working...
                              X