• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise control

Has any one ever installed cruise control in a studebakker
    and would it work?

John

I have never installed one in a Studebaker, but have in a 1968 Rambler Ambassador. It worked great. You need to get one of those universal types though. I had bought mine at Sears. When I sold the Rambler, I put it in a Honda Civic. It worked well in that one too. I plan on putting one in my 1962 Hawk and 1963 Champ pickup. There is no reason the cruise control won't work its all pretty standard stuff.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Several options available,all about the same and pretty straight forward.Do watch that whole 6V pos ground thing if it applies to you though.Steve
      sigpic

Comment

I've installed several over the years-all 12volt cars. No different than any other older (non-computer) car. I've actually had good luck (reliability/accuracy) with the cheaper ($100) aftermarket units.

Steve Hudson
        The Dalles, Oregon
        1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
        1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
        1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
        1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
        1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
        The Dalles, Oregon
        1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
        1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

I had one I bought at a swap meet. You had to put magnets on the drive shaft and bolt a sender bracket on the floorboard. I didn't want anything bolted to the floor so I gave it away. Is there any out there that doesn't have to have those magnets?

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
          As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

quote:Is there any out there that doesn't have to have those magnets?
            Yes. On newer cars, they just plug into the pulse generator. Otherwise some will operate off the distributor signal, or you can add a pulse generator to the speedo output of the transmission.

Steve Hudson
            The Dalles, Oregon
            1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
            1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
            1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
            1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
            The Dalles, Oregon
            1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
            1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

I installed one on the 56 Commander that I drove to Lancaster. It was a old Chyr. unit that worked great. Had to make some switches for the clutch and brake. No Magnets. Changed out the old brake pressure at the same time.

Ebon...

"Holiday Cheers to ALL"

Comment

Thanks for the info. It sure would be nice to have a cruise control on the 48 when we go to Tennessee in April and Cedar Rapids in July.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Amazing technological solution as proven on my 47 Chevy panel van. Attach a choke cable from a hole in the dash to the throttle linkage on the carb. Get up to the speed you want to maintain and then pull the "hand throttle" to match. heh-heh.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

That may work in Texas, but there are places (with hills) that it wouldn't be too good.

My '36 Ford had one like that called, of all things, a 'throttle.'

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                    Tom Bredehoft
                    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                    (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
                    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                    All Indiana built cars

Comment

John, I bought one made by Audiovox at the parts store. I was able to hide the unit under the battery making it practically invisible. It has worked fine for several years now.

Tim K.
                      '64 R2 GT Hawk
                      Tim K.
                      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I used one from a 78 Chrysler Cordoba in my 63 Avanti, (4 speed) works great. I do need to replace the servo but other than that.

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                        X