What am I missing here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I missing here??

This "grand tramisomo" is at $1827 with over 4 days to go- and it's had 18 bids![:0]

Looks like a parts car to me! I looked closer but see no evidence of an r-series drivetrain; so what could be the attraction?? If anyone here is interested, I know of a MUCH nicer one in WA for not that much more

All I can figure is it's a new eBayer that's got his buddies shill bidding. Most of the highest bids are from another 0-feedback bidder.

Is this a rare car I don't recognize?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Hard for me to tell the condition from the pictures, Frame shot looks good. Champagne gold with tan vinyl. I had one but the seats had white inserts. Two brand new fenders I assume go with car. I think it is a candidate for a restoration. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Thats probably all its worth,around $2000.00 After all it is a car that needs everything. The (if included) fenders are worth at least $1200.00 if they are new. It needs at least one and may have rust in the other one.

Frank van Doorn
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Conv
      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If it really has two NOS front fenders that go with it, there's half the value of the car right there, Bob. Regardless of the market for whole cars, I can't see the market for a pair of NOS C/K front fenders taking much of a hit in this economy! The frame does look unusually nice, so bidding under $2,000 might be appropriate.

'Could be some frame sway as a result of that hit, though; it depends on how much of the hit was taken by that LF wheel. Perhaps someone has examined it in person and feels the value is there for them if they aren't too far away, extraction and shipping costs being a factor. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The fenders go for over 2K, win the auction for less then that and leave the car if you like.

JDP/Maryland
          Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

He's gotta be lying about the fire.

Chris Pile
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The Studebaker Special
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

It also comes with a tripower and aluminum valve covers.

Comment

Kinda odd to see the old "backdraft" WW on there.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It looks like a 2 bbl carb to me also. But, Chris, I can't imagine there was a fire under that hood. The carb would be melted and the wiring is still intact as well.

sals54
                  sals54

Comment

Nope,it's a early carb.

JDP/Maryland
                    Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

I am not a mechanic, but it looks as if someone has pulled the top of the carburetor and blocked it off with a piece of flat metal. I see the distributor cap is missing as are the plug wires.

Also, it appears the engine bay was "slimed" with something. In the one side picture with the hood open there appears to be "stuff" hanging from the lower lip.

Take a look at the floor of the shop also. Either it is funny looking gravel or the concrete is covered with some sort of small pebble type objects. It appears to be the same sort of stuff that is on the engine and firewall. A quick once over with a hose would have done wonders for the presentation.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

It looks like a 2 bbl carb to me also. But, Chris, I can't imagine there was a fire under that hood. The carb would be melted and the wiring is still intact as well. sals54
                        I agree with the assessment of to carb as well- but it sure does look flat on top.

I think it has been on fire. Either that or it had a pretty big nest under that hood.
                        Not ALL fires will melt stuff under the hood- ask me how I know... [:0]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                        San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
                        San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                        '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                        '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                        '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
                        '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The carb is a WW backdraft Here it is lightened.

The lumpy white stuff could be some sort of insulation, House, not car, like pelletized newsprint or Styrofoam. or some such. .

All it needs is a good (very good) cleaning.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                          Tom Bredehoft
                          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                          (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
                          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                          All Indiana built cars

Comment

So it's the NOS fenders. I didn't realize they were worth that much; so that would make sense. Only problem with that is, there are no pictures of them to prove condition... or that they even truly exist... if that's the basis of the money, that's pretty risky...

As for the LF damage: I really doubt there's any frame or suspension damage. The impact was high, like maybe a truck bumper hit it; probably a glancing blow at the top of the tire. The impact was from rear to front, coming in at an angle. Under those circumstances, it wouldn't take all that hard of an impact to make that damage.

I'll be curious to see if anyone asks about pictures of the fenders; and what it takes to meet reserve (if it does)......

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

It also comes with a tripower and aluminum valve covers.
                              Actually, it's not a "tri-power", just the intake- and he says he "has" it, not whether it's included or not.

Overall, another case of somebody that should have sought out a proofreader before actually listing[}][xx(]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X