Hamilton Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamilton Plant

Would like to visit the site of the old Hamilton plant. Does any body know the street address?

I remember it being on Ferry St. Sorry I dont have the exact address, all my Stude info is packed up right now.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Lube...its a bit hard to find unless your from the area ...do you know what direction you are coming into Hamilton from...I can give you directions. Maybe even meet up with you

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
      "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
      1964 Daytona HT
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Yes I will be coming from Cambridge, down highway 6 south
        quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Lube...its a bit hard to find unless your from the area ...do you know what direction you are coming into Hamilton from...I can give you directions. Maybe even meet up with you

1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT

Comment

Bob, It's Ted Dirksen club member

1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT

Comment

Lube,didn't realize you were ted ....where ya been hiding ?
            Your coming from Cambrige I figure ; so your best bet is to stay on the 403 to the QEW to Niagara. Take Burlington St exit to Wentworth Ave., turn left on Wentworth and not to far right on Mars Ave. , this will bring you to the back of the plant andFerrie St . you can go out to Victoria Ave , which is at the front of the building ( one way ) back to Burlington St if you want to get back to the QEW. You can see the STUDEBAKER painted on the building from the Burlington St side. Hope this helped you .

1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Comment

Great, Thanks

Lube,didn't realize you were ted ....where ya been hiding ?
              Your coming from Cambrige I figure ; so your best bet is to stay on the 403 to the QEW to Niagara. Take Burlington St exit to Wentworth Ave., turn left on Wentworth and not to far right on Mars Ave. , this will bring you to the back of the plant andFerrie St . you can go out to Victoria Ave , which is at the front of the building ( one way ) back to Burlington St if you want to get back to the QEW. You can see the STUDEBAKER painted on the building from the Burlington St side. Hope this helped you .

1960 Champ
              1964 Daytona HT

Comment

Think I have posted this pic before but its always nice to revisit.Ed popped a set of plates on the car and took it for a final ride , it was done on the midnight shift I was told.

1960 Champ
                1964 Daytona HT
                sigpic

Comment

here's another one of the last car. the color of the car shows wrong but that was what the photo shows.

1960 Champ
                  1964 Daytona HT
                  sigpic

Comment

That IS odd isn't it? I can see a Gold car appearing, Tan, Brown, Silver, even sort of White, but BLUE! Never!

It is obviously not a Color negative, maybe it's a poorly color added Black and White!

The lighting could have affected the type of film badly or something.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No it was from a color negative . I got it from the person who took the picture. I figured it had something to do with the type of lighting in the plant and also maybe the camera was a cheapy.

1960 Champ
                      1964 Daytona HT
                      sigpic

Comment

The address is 349 Ferrie St. E., corner of Victoria N., a few blocks south of the docks and Burlington St. E. It's a large brick building. It's been used as warehouse and film studio in recent years. Here's a photo from 2002 when I brought my '65 Wagonaire "home".

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                        Dartmouth, Mass.
                        '48 M5
                        '65 Wagonaire Commander
                        '63 Wagonaire Standard
                        web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                        Gary Ash
                        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                        '48 M5
                        '65 Wagonaire Commander
                        '63 Wagonaire Standard
                        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by garyash

The address is 349 Ferrie St. E., corner of Victoria N., a few blocks south of the docks and Burlington St. E. It's a large brick building. It's been used as warehouse and film studio in recent years. Here's a photo from 2002 when I brought my '65 Wagonaire "home".

Wow! Thanks Gary. Brings back memories, I walked through that door on May 5, 1964 to meet the fine folks who would turn over to me my '64 Daytona Wagonaire. I had taken a Santa Fe train from Kansas City, MO to Chicago where I connected with the New York Central for New York City. There I connected with another NYC train to Buffalo where I caught a bus for Hamilton. The bus driver let me off at the intersection of his route and Ferrie Street and I walked the last few blocks to the plant. The kind folks there gave me a nice plant tour before turning over the car. BTW- they were very proud of the Hamilton plant and they believed they were doing a much better job of building the cars than SB. After taking possession of the car, my guide got in his Studebaker and had me follow him to the west edge of town where he got me on a freeway to Windsor. I had to go through customs there. I had to wait until the customs office opened the next morning before I could cross in to Detroit (where I got my first nick on the car- a big chuck of dirt rolled off a lowboy and hit my windshield leaving a star which is still there to this day.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                          Museum R-4 engine
                          1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                          1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul--

Nice story about the Wagonaire! How cool that you still have the car.

Strictly speaking, the Victoria Street edge of the Hamilton complex was always Otis Elevator; Studebaker Canada's front door was further east on Ferrie Street, the rest of the Stude facility being bounded by Emerald Street, Mars Avenue, and the railway. I centred my Lark in front of that "18" rollup doorway the first time I did "plant homecoming" photos...found out later from my dad, who worked at Otis from 1964-84, that that door led not to Studebaker assembly but to Otis' machine shop! Oops. The pix were great though...Took another set this past spring on Mars Ave with the completed-car driveoff door and guardshack in the background. Wish we (SDC) could have a Stude cruise sometime in the shipping lot out back.

I'd post a couple pix of my Lark "at home", but the computer's behaving strangely right now and anyway I've posted some of those shots on the forum before...Oh, and Ted, don't miss the view from Burlington Street East, just east of the Bunge vegetable-oil plant, south of the railway on the upper part of the Stude plant you can still clearly read the circa-1950 E.L.Ruddy Co. STUDEBAKER painted sign! I've photographed the Lark with that in the background too.

S.

Comment

Here's a picture from the "lake" side of the building taken in early June when I was in the area. Not too much else to see from the outside.

<h5>Mark
                              '57 Transtar Deluxe
                              Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                              May 23 & 24, 2009?
                              </h5>
                              Mark Hayden
                              '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X