X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much thanks to the gang at SASCO

As the title says...

A thanks to the guys at SASCO.
    Though they did forget one part....I got a Christmas present today (Christmas eve).

Last Monday (15th) I drove my car to work, my 59 Lark, 2dr wagon, in the rain.

Anyway...on the way home, while sitting in traffic...I got wacked from behind at about 20ish(+) mph.
    Turned into a hit and run..! I pointed to the side of the freeway, made my way over and waited, waited....no one...!
    Great....
    While waiting, I surveyed the damage as best I could in the waining daylight. It actually didn't appear to be too bad.
    Along I went. I stopped at the store on the way home...hmmm, no reverse..! I also noticed that while at a slow idle, while in gear, the car had a weird vibration.

After finally getting a good look at everything -
    1. The bumper is bent pretty good...but savable I think.
    2. The bumper guard (upright) is bent but I think also fixable.
    3. The panel just behind the bumper, under the tailgate is bent pretty bad.
    4. The bellhousing mounts I believe are broken...(no reverse and the vibration).

The tail gate and fenders weren't touched! And my car is lowered a bit also!

The reason the car came out without much damage... Someone in the distant past built a home made trailer hitch receiver. A VERY heavy duty hitch receiver!
    I cut half it out years ago...and it still protected the back of the car. It's a 2" x 3/16" wall square tubing welded across the frame, then just behind that is a 1/4" thick piece of steel also welded across, from rail to rail.
    Neither piece was bent.

Anyway...just to say thanks to the people at SASCO for an [u]NOS</u> bumper, (two) [u]NOS</u> wagon bumper guards and a set of bellhousing/trans./rear engine mounts.

Have a happy holiday season all.

Mike

OH! OK Mike, that's BETTER! You could read this on the bumper post to mean: Thanks SASCO for wrecking my car!! Lol! [)]

Quote: "See my note about my hit and run the other day (Thanks to the gang at SASCO)."

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mike, sorry you got hit. That receiver sounds like a real body saver. I take it no one got a license plate number of the hit and run? Glad Sasco got you fixed up. Did the they still have 59-60 bumpers? Thought those were NLA.

Comment

Dave; remember Mike said Station Wagon Rear! That means they are full of holes (4) for the License Guard and lights.

StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dang! (I wanted to say Da mmit but the filter wouldn't let it through) It annoys me to hear about garbage like this. Could have been worse; plus you got a good experience with SASCO out of it... that's something, at least. Hope you get it fixed and forget all about it soon!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Years ago, we hardly ever heard of a hit-and-run situation. Nowadays, it's all too common. What's happened to people taking responsibility for their actions. There's a moral breakdown somewhere.
            Anyway, I'm sorry for your problems, but glad that SASCO was able to help you out.
            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich

Dave; remember Mike said Station Wagon Rear! That means they are full of holes (4) for the License Guard and lights.

I forgot about the four extra holes. I knew they were all the same shape, but wasn't sure about the big license guard attachment method until I looked in the parts book. I got excited too early. At least they're straight and could be welded if desperate. Wonder what they cost?

Comment

Working...
              X