Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona needs a brake basket

That's a new one on me[xx(]

Guy buys a 64 Daytona conv., has a quickie exterior-only color change done, then wants almost $20K for it. He's clueless (Mustang "motor" and trans.[|)]), but the "brake basket" is new territory!

Reminds me of the woman who was trying to sell me a non-running car; all it needed was a "cellunous" on the starter[:I] Insisted she "knows all about cars", and she was 120% sure[B)]

Too bad about that Daytona- could be made into a good car

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

It's a stretch, Bob, but brake basket is actually a slang term for drag chute. Want enhanced stopping? Throw out the brake basket.[:0][:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, he wasted his money painting it a non stock color and with the wide whitee. he biggest issue is taking the pictures with the top down and windows up. I know Skip would like to see a law allowing you to smash out the windows when you see one driven like that.

JDP/Maryland
      Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Well, he wasted his money painting it a non stock color and with the wide whitee. he biggest issue is taking the pictures with the top down and windows up. I know Skip would like to see a law allowing you to smash out the windows when you see one driven like that.
        I guess I had better stay away from him with my convertible. I drive like that a lot, especially if the "boss" is along. It does reduce the wind blast.
        Back in my high school days I drove my '47 Dodge convertible all one winter without a top- had the windows rolled up and both heaters running full blast (and I carried several blankets[8D]). It was too cold to install my $19.95 J.C. Whitney top so...

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
        Museum R-4 engine
        1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
        1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Do you suppose he meant brake booster? I wonder if it is a Ford engine or he just assumed a 289 must be a Ford. I would be surprised if a "former Stude mechanic" would make that switch. JDP what could someone pay for this to be able to come out OK on the deal?

Don Wilson
          53 Commander Hardtop
          64 Champ 1/2 ton
          Centralia, WA
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I find it interesting that there are no under hood pics... [B)][?]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

As much as I love wide whites- particularly on the early Larks- I definitely DO NOT like them on the later ones[xx(]

Hard to say what it's really worth by that description- with a quickie repaint I worry about holes stuffed with paper and bondo, floorboards of pop-riveted flashing, and other quick-resale tactics[B)] If it checked out with Stude running gear and decent body under the paint, I'd say maybe $5-6K. I predict this one will be on the market in all the usual places for a loooooong time....[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I could be a buyer for something like this, but not for twice what it's worth. I don,t think it's more than a #3 car and if the rest of the paint is of the same quality as the trunk??????
                Klif

55 Speedster
                55 Speedster/Street Machine
                63 Avanti R2
                64 Convertible R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

It's a stretch, Bob, but brake basket is actually a slang term for drag chute. Want enhanced stopping? Throw out the brake basket.[:0][:I]
                  Now wouldn't THAT be interesting at a traffic light?[:0] Although it might be cool on a freeway off-ramp[8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

That would make me a nice Christmas, If he drop the price 10K :-)

Ebon...

"Holiday Cheers to ALL"

Comment

What a JOKE! This thing has those wrong and ugly on a '64, Wide Whites, 1959 Wheelcovers, "Original Interior" but has the seat inserts re-done in Dark Blue Vinyl (not available) looks good, just WRONG, dash pad painted wrong color, steering wheel re-painted wrong color, Red pin stripe added ABOVE the body side moulding (why?) Wrong color paint, a new Ford Transmission? Oh, and it says it has a BLACK interior, I don't THINK so!

I would bet it's all stock Stude. Engine and Trans.

Nice car for $10,000.00, it would be fixable as a keeper, not a flipper though! [:0]

Oh, and guess what? "One Stop Motors" has stolen The Studebaker Motor Co.'s logo (if copyright exists as they say!) Either they ARE the SMC, or they could be in for a lawsuit!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Those wide whites really DO look hideous on a '64!

And as to those windows being up.... I'm kinda like Paul, in that having them up on a cool day can make things a bit more comfortable. But with this '64, something's suspect if they only leave the rear ones up! Bad regulators would be my guess, but bad "presentation" is the result.[]

Kinda find it odd that we're bashing this thing here. I thought that pratice was/is some sort of unwritten no-no here?
                        I don't care, myself. If I see something goofy, I'm gonna call it like it see it. The only reason I don't do that on a regular basis is that I don't peruse ebay and Craigslist on a daily basis. Too many other things to do.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It looks to me like they PhotoShopped their name and logo onto a nice building. Maybe someone here that lives in or near Las Vegas could check out that address and see if the building has their name on it or they just have a mail drop there ("Suite ---").

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Four WW and a spare. He needs to send those tires to me. I'll make sure he gets the correct white walls. I can't tell if those are 59-60 wheel covers, or 1966 with the Hawk logo from those pictures. If this is a solid car under that paint, it's worth waking him up to reality price-wise. Funny how folks think they have proper info on efforts like this and then dream up an unrealistic price.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

It looks to me like they PhotoShopped their name and logo onto a nice building.
                              Here's the Google Maps link, you decide I am not sure! [:0]

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

I think we found who is Studebaker Motors Co.!!! [:0] [}]
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X