Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does this have to do with Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this have to do with Studebaker?

How well do you know your Studebaker-related geography?

What does this article have to do with Studebaker?

OK, we'll make it easy, just fill in the blanks:

The town discussed in the article is/was the "official" address of ______ ___________________ ________________ ______________.

Four words; Dick Quinn may not participate.

(This is posted early Sunday morning and we'll be gone all day, so I won't be able to check the answer(s) until Sunday evening.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

The Studebaker Proving Grounds

Comment

"Is"... Bosch Automotive Proving Grounds.
      "Was"...T.S.P.G.

Comment

New Carlisle is where I grew up and went to high school. Spent lots of time shoveling snow. After living in California for many years and moving back to the Indianapolis area, I've been amazed what wimps they are here whenever it snows. A few flakes of snow and the schools close and employees are calling in saying they can't make it to work. I had one call in last year saying that he couldn't get out of his driveway so I went over and picked him up. What I found was that he hadn't even tried to shovel his driveway.

Ed Reynolds

Comment

Gotta be tough to work at SI! I bet you didn't have snow tires on a Stude to pick them up, though. [)]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stratovue

I had one call in last year saying that he couldn't get out of his driveway so I went over and picked him up. What I found was that he hadn't even tried to shovel his driveway.
            Time to find a new employee!![B)]

Craig

Comment

This may be the first completely correct answer: the Studebaker Proving Ground. Studebaker used Ground, not Grounds.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I guess no one told the editors and writers of the factory's Studebaker News, Gary. They use "S-P Proving Grounds" freely with a s throughout my copies. Google and Wikipedia also have it that way, as well, but I would think the factory would know how to use both spellings. I think both are accepted.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
                  I think both are accepted.
                  ...not to Gary

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well done, gang.

We shouldn't get hung up on Proving Ground versus Proving Grounds. While Studebaker officially and originally said Proving Ground, subsequent Studebaker publication employees took such license with Grounds instead of Ground on so many occasions, as Dave said, that I am sure -no, make that positive- we have bigger fish to fry than worrying about which is "more correct." BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Well done, gang.

we have bigger fish to fry than worrying about which is "more correct." BP
                      Fish fries are big in Wisconsin but nobody drives their Studebaker there.

Claude Chmielewski
                      Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
                      47 M-16 Truck
                      62 GT Hawk
                      63 Lark
                      64 Commander Wagonaire
                      50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                      63 GT Hawk R2
                      [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
                      1936 Dictator
                      1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                      1953 Commander Regal HT
                      1953 2R5 Pickup
                      1947 M16 Truck
                      1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                      1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                      1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                      1962 GT Hawk
                      1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                      1963 GT Hawk R2
                      1964 Daytona Convertible
                      1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Bob, not only is it the home of the former Studebaker Proving Grounds, it is also the home of former Studebaker President's Sherwood Egbert's home. Some say he raced up and down the road in his Avanti always trying to beat his best time getting to and from the plant.
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                        X