Back in time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in time

I worked at a Ford- Mercury-Lincoln dealership a few years ago. The buidling was built in the mid to late fifties. My assistant manager and I would sometimes crawl around in the attic and see what we could find. I fould an invoice book from 1957 and had completely forgotten about unitl I found it today. I found a few invoices from Studebakers that were sold there and I thought I would share them. At least one sale looked to be from a stude guy. He traded a 50 for a 51.
    [img]

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Weird! They are both the same car.[except for the misprinted '3' or '8' as the first digit in the serial #.. Looks like they wholesaled it july 5th,voided the sale,then retailed it,august 25th.
    Maybe the wholesaler didn't pick it up,or backed out of the deal,then a fresh "sucker" came along and paid way more !!![8D]

Oglesby,Il.
    Anybody that drives faster than me is a maniac.Anybody that drives slower than me is an idiot.
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Two more
      [img]
      [/img]

Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC
      Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
      1958 Commander "Christine"
      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
      1955 Commander Sedan
      1964 Champ
      1960 Lark

Comment

Besides the one digit difference in the serial number on the first two invoices, the trade-in lists the same numbers as the car sold.

I believe that the hand written numbers indicate the amount that the dealership had in each car. These would have been added after the vehicle was sold. It is an aid to the dealership bookkeeper.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X