Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 20, 1963

A gloomy day in South Bend.

Some of you have heard this story before, but about three or four years ago, I was in a nearby TGIFriday's restaurant wearing a SNM sweatshirt, and a distinguished-looking older gentleman came over to me and said he had worked at the NBC affiliate in South Bend back then and had snuck into the plant on the last day and got spy footage of the last car on the line and the South Bend affiliate had the film taken to Chicago and it was on Huntley and Brinkley that night. He didn't shave for a few days, and gave an employee $10 for his employee badge at shift-end one day and walked in with the rest of the throng on Dec. 20. I thought I had heard that story somewhere before and looked in the Dec. '83 TW and saw it mentioned in an old South Bend Tribune article there.

This fellow seemed sincere but was not a "car guy". He had a few errors of fact about Studebaker in general, but that's OK. He said he'd never been to the SNM, but did get back for Notre Dame games every so often.

I asked him if he could speak to our Ohio Region SDC and he agreed. He was well-received. Ironically, our member Larry Sherer had his '64 GT serial no. 64V-20170, built Dec. 20, 1963, there that day and we got the gentleman's (Walt) picture next to the car.

Very interesting gentleman, and another reason to wear those Studebaker articles of clothing out and about!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk
      Tippecanoe's always a treat, but you must remember my earlier post about really enjoying Steak and Ale and being bummed that they closed! I used to drive from Benton Harbor down there and back on Monday nights for $10.95 Prime Rib, when I was working at Whirlpool during fall '07!

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment