Bad News Comes at Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad News Comes at Christmas

I don't know if any of you read Kit Foster, but he has a nice Studebaker related article. Here's the link: http://www.kitfoster.com/

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

quote:Originally posted by arkiejazz

I don't know if any of you read Kit Foster, but he has a nice Studebaker related article. Here's the link: http://www.kitfoster.com/

Good article...thanks for posting, Steve.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Jeez, Steve, I don't like your title! When I read it I thought YOU got bad news[:0] Whew!

True enough, the big layoffs and plant closings I've seen almost always happen right before Christmas[}] Seems to me it would soften the blow considerably if it was done in the Spring My theory is, doing it at the end of the year looks the best on the first balance sheet for the stockholders the next year.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Jeez, Steve, I don't like your title! When I read it I thought YOU got bad news[:0] Whew!

True enough, the big layoffs and plant closings I've seen almost always happen right before Christmas[}] Seems to me it would soften the blow considerably if it was done in the Spring My theory is, doing it at the end of the year looks the best on the first balance sheet for the stockholders the next year.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

[)]Sorry about that, but it was the title of the article..[)]

http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

I know for many government operations this is the tough time as well as the planning for the next fiscal year happens during this period so that a budget is ready to go by February/March... so if there are cuts to be made, etc. the bad news usually starts about this time. [B)]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Companies usually do their layoffs right before the end of the fiscal year, which, for most US companies ends on 12/31. It really sucks that it coincides with the holidays, and people have to face hardship and uncertainty at that time of the year,

Comment

yeah its bad this year. Just found out that as of Jan first O no longer have health insurance. It could be worse I guess could have layed off my husband. Companies have to do what they have to do to survive.

Mabel 1949 Champion
              1957 Silverhawk
              1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              1955 President State
              1957 Golden Hawk
              Fresno,Ca
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              The Prez 1955 President State
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

we used to have 40 people on 2nd shift in our building at ABX Air in wilmington ,Ohio . Since DHL is pulling out of domestic freight (which we hauled) , last Thursday we were down to Three in the shop. We 3 go to days on Monday. Figure we will be layed off some time in January. Over 10,000 jobs will be loss in Sw Ohio with this closing. Their are not 10,000 jobs to go to in the area and homes are not selling if one wants to move (I don't). Not a pity party,for I know this type thing is happening everywhere. Is a shame to see a thriving business with biggest independant runways in USA go down and lose contact with friends who have became like family.

Randy Wilkin
                1946 M5 Streetrod
                Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
                Randy Wilkin
                1946 M5 Streetrod
                Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

With DHL's purchase of Airborne for one billion and them losing close to a billion a year for the last three years, quick math would tell me that either senior management didn't understand how Germany runs its ROI or they were so caught up in making so many purchases and throwing everything together so quickly that they continued to lose sight on their bottom line profits.

Comment

Working...
                  X