Paint Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Question

I've been polishing up my 59 and as I was cleaning out the trunk a question arose. What color did Studebaker paint the trunks on a Tahiti coral car?
    Thanks,
    Bob

How about body color?

Don Wilson
    53 Commander Hardtop
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    Centralia, WA
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

My 59 is light gray inside. I believe all early Larks were the same.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Sorry, the body color is Tahiti Coral. The trunk is a beigey gray color. It kinda threw me off. Were the coral cars made this way?

Comment

Thanks Bob, was wondering if it was right or not.

Comment

Bams, is your '59 a Deluxe trim car? I've seen factory pictures next to each other of some '59 cars with different color trunks than the body, and some the same, but I don't think all early Larks (if you mean '60's too) had grey trunks. None of my Regal cars had grey trunks and I've seen original '59's with body color trunks. Never noticed if there were Deluxe vs Regal versions of that practice done.

Comment

Mine's a Deluxe, 6/auto, light blue. I'm debating converting it to manual. Here she is:

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I really do not think it matters if the car is a Regal or a Deluxe, all 1959's were originally Dull light gray primer, including the trunk lid.
                I don't know for sure, but before any re-paint jobs, all 1960's probably also were.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My '60 VI convertible was Jonquil inside and out, not repainted.

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I echo what Brad said. My '60 Convertible was Jonquil Yellow, never repainted, and the trunk area and inside of the lid were body color.

Dave Bonn
                    '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Mine's a Deluxe, 6/auto, light blue. I'm debating converting it to manual. Here she is:
                      Bam's...
                      I'm in the process of converting a very good running (but smoky)1959 Lark 2dr sedan.. 6cyl w 3sp/OD... to V8 Automatic. I have the engine/trans removed, and will be removing all the linkages, drive shaft, hill-holder, etc today during the suspension rebuild. The engine/trans is available for sale. I may separate... but it's just too good a setup. I think a simple re-ring and valve job would eliminate the smoking.

Here's a video of the engine
                      This is a good running but smoky 170 6-cylinder. Equipped with 3-spd Overdrive transmission and all linkage/brackets and driveshaft

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                      Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

That looks like a pretty original Hawaiian Green '59 Ray, so what about the trunk and lid?

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't have a scanner anymore, so I can't post the Studebaker News from 11/59. It looks like both methods were used in 1960 from the factory in that issue. They are black and white pictures, but there is a black one with the grey trunk.. with the black paint going into the underside of the deck lid to the rubber seal, and a seemingly red one that is all body color. I wondered in John and Tracy's "question" post if any factory folks remember? I have had a colonial red, black and white sand regal convertible. All body color before a repaint.

Comment

Finally had time to take soem pictures.

Comment

My '59 is an original Regal 4 Door and it also is grenge Gray/Tan, so that reinforces my theory that the body color trunks and deck lids did not happen in 1959, but from what everyone is saying they did sometime in 1960.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X