Indianapolis Studebaker Mechanic Harry Weber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indianapolis Studebaker Mechanic Harry Weber

James Bell and Jacob Newkirk discussed former Indianapolis-area Studebaker mechanic Harry Weber in another thread. Jacob inquired about his obituary.

A write-up on Harry was in the June 1998 Turning Wheels; Page 37. [EDIT]: I just re-read The Indianapolis Star obituary we ran in that Turning Wheels and see that they skipped over Childers' brief ownership of the dealership. 'Not the first error that's appeared in The Indianapolis Star, and probably not the last!)

Harry has further ties to cars on our Forum. Harry's career was spent at Indianapolis' Roy Gale Motors, which became Childers Studebaker in 1963 when Roy Gale retired.

As a mechanic at Childers, Harry Weber worked on what is now Jeff Bradel's 1963 Super Lark Daytona convertible, the black/white top full-package R2/4-speed car that was originally delivered to Childers for Salesman Jim Franklin to drag race.

I'm all but positive Harry was the mechanic who installed the Gas/Class-required scattershield in the car that remains in it to this day. (Because Studebaker would not release R-engine horsepower figures, Jim and others drag-racing new, 1963 R-engined Studebakers had to run Gas or Gas/Supercharged classes in NHRA drag racing events.[:0]) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob, I just posted this info about Harry on the 1st Super Hawk topic before seeing your Harry Weber thread. Dan

Posted - 12/12/2008 : 06:22:38 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry Weber was my Studebaker and brand x mechanic for almost twenty five years.He rebuilt the R1 engine in my 64 Super Hawk, and is the only person besides me who has driven it since 1966. (My wife only drives automatics). He started working as a mechanic for Roy Gale Studebaker near 10th and Sherman in Indianapolis around 1948, became head mechanic and continued there after it became Childers Studebaker. After Studebaker stopped making cars, the owner of the Dealership, Charles W. Polley, moved the operation in 1965 to a former gas station at 30th and Arlington. Harry was the only remaining employee, selling and servicing Studebakers. Basically, Polley split all proceeds with Harry 50/50, and would drop by on Friday mornings to pick up the money.

The operation stayed at that location until 1980. The neighborhood was turning into the wild west. Harry was robbed several times there, even left all tied up on a couple of occasions. Polley realized the danger, built a little garage next to his home on east 40 near Greenfield, not too far from Studebaker International, and moved Harry out there where he worked until he retired around 1992. Harry died two or three years later.

It was always fun to hang out at the garage. There were always people there talking Studebakers with Harry. Harry was never in a big hurry and was a great story teller. I didn't know what I'd do when he retired, and even took the Hawk to his home in Homecroft a few times after he retired. He was a great guy! Dan McKeon

Comment

Working...
    X