Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1st Super Hawks & Super Larks

[u]The 1st Super Hawks & Super Larks made.</u>

* Two early 1963 Super Hawks and Six early Super Larks were made in South Bend.
    * All appear to have been ordered early on 2-11-63
    * Final assembly varied slightly.
    * The Hawk and Lark production orders I've seen show they were sent to engineering.
    * All appear to have final shipping as Mar 12, 1963.
    * 1/2 of all were 4spd and 1/2 were powershift.
    * All were Painted White.
    * All had TT 354 axle ratio
    * All listed option 600 for many options.
    * Production Orders were all 2 pages long!
    * The Hawk and Lark production orders I've seen show they were sent to Engineering.
    * Studebaker Service Letter #148 states that "SUPER LARKS & SUPER HAWKS WILL BEGIN TO ROLL OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINES ABOUT APRIL 1".

The two early white Super Hawks built, then shipped to Engineering, were #63V23914 (4spd) #63V23972 (Powershift).

The 1st powershift Super Hawk (#63V23972) survives in Bellingham, WA.
    I am hoping to find more history on this car.
    The 1st 4 spd Super Hawk originally went to Englewood NJ.
    The 1st Powershift Super Hawk originally went to Los Angeles, California.

I have found through previous owners, 63V23972 was later traded in at a car dealer near Indianapolis Indiana (Shelbyville) and the dealer kept it for himself until he passed away in early 1980's.

[u]A Total of only 4 White R2 Super Hawks built for 1963!</u>

[u]Early Production (prototypes)</u>
    * #23914 R2 4spd Hawk
    EW, Engine #S1520, Jim Bergener has owned in CA.
    * #23972 R2 powershift Hawk
    EW, Engine #S1522, Currently in Bellingham, WA.

[u]Produced after April anouncement:</u>
    * #31103 R2 powershift Hawk
    EW, Engine #S1635, Doug Tjapkes has owned in Michigan
    * #31403 R2 4spd Hawk
    EW, Engine #S1637 Tom Kazale Jr has owned in Chicago

Besides #63V23972 there was 1 other white powershift R2 Super Hawk made in 1963 (there were also 2 white 4spd R2's and 2 white R1 Super Hawks made that year).

Since any original photo's of a 1963 White R2 Superhawk with powershift could likley be this car (2 made), I am hoping to get more history/info on the car and hope anyone here may help.

Motor Trend had a great June 63 article on the 63 Super Hawk that showed a white R2 powershift prototype with CA license plates, without the badges.
    I found a previous owner of 63V23972 (he bought the car in early
    80's from widow in Shelbyville IN) and clearly remembers adding the emblems to this car because it didn't have the grill emblem, or holes for the fender emblems. He is forwarding pictures of the car when he owned/restored it before selling it at the 19886 Indianapolis Natl Meet.
    A Harry Webber was an ex Studebaker mechanic, who he said worked on the car.
    A June 1963 Car Life Magazine article mentions test driving the 1st
    Studebaker Super Lark (but not the Super Hawk) at the Studebaker Proving Grounds while testing and driving a R2 Wagonaire. The Lark matched the 1st car, white R2, 4spd, TT, 354 axle ratio, etc.
    It would make sense for engineering to test the cars at the proving grounds, or use them for press rides.
    Although each early production order had listed every item with option 600, such as Avanti Wheels, Avanti Speedo W Bezel, etc. they don't list the special emblems.
    Looking closely at the Advertising of "Two New Cars are Born" they show white Super Lark and Hawk car drawings without the round grill badge (shows common style badge).
    Please forward any info or original pictures you may find of a White 1963 R2 Powershift Super Hawk.
    Any info and history on this unique car is very appreciated!

Thanks,

James

The Bell Collection
    Bellingham, WA.
    Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
    Bellingham, WA.

James, I really hope someone has some info on this very historic prototype '63 Super G.T. Hawk, I think we all could benefit from the proper accurate information.
    I would love to see some period factory photos! [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

James, you mentioned Harry Webber who worked on 23972. He had a garage in Greenfield, IN until about 1991, if memory serves, and it was said his was the last authorized Stude service garage. I believe he passed away a few years ago, but I can't remember when. His retirement made pretty big news in Indiana; I remember reading about it as a young teenager in the Evansville Courier. My mother may still have the clipping with a bunch of my other stuff. Would not be surprised.

If I can find it, I'll post. Let me know if I should start a separate thread for that.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I posted a new thread on Harry Weber, Jacob. [:I]

Referencing Jim Bell's original post, here: I've seen those dates before and always thought it was pretty cool that Studebaker engineering folks were specifying and ordering the very first Super Studebakers [u]on</u> my 17th birthday: February 11, 1963! [] That would have been one helluva birthday present, if I'da known what was going on up in South Bend that very day! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Harry Weber was my Studebaker and brand x mechanic for almost twenty five years.He rebuilt the R1 engine in my 64 Super Hawk, and is the only person besides me who has driven it since 1966. (My wife only drives automatics). He started working as a mechanic for Roy Gale Studebaker near 10th and Sherman in Indianapolis around 1948, became head mechanic and continued there after it became Childers Studebaker. After Studebaker stopped making cars, the owner of the Dealership, Charles W. Polley, moved the operation in 1965 to a former gas station at 30th and Arlington. Harry was the only remaining employee, selling and servicing Studebakers. Basically, Polley split all proceeds with Harry 50/50, and would drop by on Friday mornings to pick up the money.

The operation stayed at that location until 1980. The neighborhood was turning into the wild west. Harry was robbed several times there, even left all tied up on a couple of occasions. Polley realized the danger, built a little garage next to his home on east 40 near Greenfield, not too far from Studebaker International, and moved Harry out there where he worked until he retired around 1992. Harry died two or three years later.

It was always fun to hang out at the garage. There were always people there talking Studebakers with Harry. Harry was never in a big hurry and was a great story teller. I didn't know what I'd do when he retired, and even took the Hawk to his home in Homecroft a few times after he retired. He was a great guy!

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma
            "Referencing Jim Bell's original post, here: I've seen those dates before and always thought it was pretty cool that Studebaker engineering folks were specifying and ordering the very first Super Studebakers [u]on</u> my 17th birthday: February 11, 1963! [] That would have been one helluva birthday present, if I'da known what was going on up in South Bend that very day! BP"

That would have had a fully aspirated ticket all over it at that age anyway, Bob.

James, thanks for taking time for such a detailed information post. Great for a file. [^]

Comment

A Super-Champ pickup truck would have been neat to have been able to order!!

Comment

Great history lesson, James. Thanks! [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks, Bob! I figured you would bail me out! (Hey, at least that one didn't cost us a billion or 15, right?!) LOL

Comment

BP, they might've been ordered on your birthday, but they were shippied out on mine. [8D] (Even though I was born quite a few years later. )

quote:* All appear to have final shipping as Mar 12, 1963.
                    Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Son O Lark

I seemed to remember a club member having a finned Super-Hawk here in Indy. It was MANY years ago. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it was a '61 model.[?]
                      A 61 would have be just a Hawk. The Super Hawk and Larks were only made in 63-64 and with a package of options including the Avanti engine.

JDP/Maryland
                      Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Neat thread...lots of early R-car info on here these days!

What's probably meant about the '61 is a Hawk retrofitted with an R series engine, thus a "super-Hawk" but not a Super Hawk...

Re cars completed/shipped on one's birthday, I ran across a Wagonaire somewhere that had exited the Hamilton plant on the day before I was born; have wondered since whether any Stude survives with a signoff date of 24 June 1965...if that proved to be the case, I would make every effort to acquire it! Any chance someone on the forum has such a car??

S.

Comment

Yes, well over 500 were built and you could order any colors other then Super Red from the start.

JDP/Maryland
                          Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

I have a question about the JT and JTS engine numbers:

If the numbers started at 1001, why does it seem like the numbers are on the high side for the seemingly low number of cars built??

We have 3 JT/JTS engines between us and 2 of them are over #1500. They are all 1963 engines. Total number of JT/JTS cars combined was over 500? (not counting Paxton products spares)

How soon in the year could someone have ordered a color other than white?

MIKE
                            Mike: Obviously, you could get a color other than white as soon as production commenced; after all, this 63V1001 was the first 1963 V-8 car built that was not an Avanti, and it is black.

Yes, well over 1,000 1963 V-8 models were built with Jet-Thrust power, so you may well have engine numbers over JT1500 or JTS1500 on your car(s). BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

Yes, I see the first one was black. All of my lit from 63 says they only came in white.... And all the 'early' ones I have seen are white. Mine is also white, early and special ordered. They must have dropped the attitude fast?
                              [?] Geeze, Mike; what kind of literature do you have that states the early cars were white? Do you mean the early, prototype Super Larks and Super Hawks to which James Bell herein refers? Those were white, as he states, but were not created until mid-production year anyway. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X