engine breather tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine breather tube

Can I take the tube off of a 289 to check and clean as I noticed some internal engine smell comeing through fire wall after I got a more air tight car when travelling with windows up in winter. I can see steam coming out of it and also the oil cap. Is there a problem? Thank You for any ideas

You should not be seeing steam coming from anywhere. It is not uncommon to see a bit of smoke coming from the breather tube on a well-worn engine. There may also be some from the oil filler tube, especially after shut down. But steam implies a cracked block or blown head gasket. Check the coolant level in your radiator. If it's low, you need to check for serious problems.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

You need to have on hand a cork or fiber ring for around the hole in the Lifter cover and a copper gasket for the bolt that holds it on.

Other than that, no reason why you can't remove the tube for cleaning, but do not expect it to be plugged, that would really be rare! The most service it should need can be done on the car, just remove the cotter pin in the ground end of the pipe (if exists) and use a probe (ice pick) to remove and wash the wire mesh wad in the end if that exists.

I am assuming you have a non-Calif or N.Y. emissions equipped '63 or older engine, with a breather pipe (draft tube), not a hose and PCV Valve.

If it is a 1961-1966 Lark or Lark Type, be sure you have the Inlet air box water drain hose in place on the firewall.

You could also give your engine a compression test if see if you have low compression, causing too much blow-by needing valve guides, valves or rings.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Does anyone have the adaptor that sits on the valley and is for a pcv setup instead of a road draft tube? Or am I wasting my time?

Comment

It would be a good idea to add a PCV system to your Stude. V-8, it will help pull out moisture and condensation that will damage the engine. People like Bob Peterson at C & B Studebaker or Bill Oliver at Studebaker Parts and Service that have parted out hundreds of Studes. and many '63 Studes. should have the adapter to 3/8" hose fitting you need.

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

Does anyone have the adaptor that sits on the valley and is for a pcv setup instead of a road draft tube? Or am I wasting my time?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I found that a (unknown model) Chrysler PCV valve (has a right angle output) has a 1/2 in input that can be forced into a 3/8 hose is available for about $5. and seems to work well.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

I cut the draft tube off at the joint just past the 90 deg angle, I then found a generic PCV Valve and put a tack weld on it and sealed it up with silly cone. I then used braided hose to run to the front of my carb. Works like a charm.

Wayen K.
              Libby, MT
              61 Hawk

Comment

Does it help any with one that has leaky seals? It would seem that by pulling a vacuum, that it would help with oil usage. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                X