X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Date Which Will Live in Infamy

67 years ago.

Leonard Shepherd

Leonard, today is the day the US learned a horrible but yet strong lesson. We are not invincible and must always remain diligent. Have we truly learned it? 2004 is an example of history repeating itself so the bottom line is no.

However is a day to remember thos who sacrificed all for the freedoms we. One of the most moving sights I have ever seen is the USS Arizona Memorial and the small stream of oil that is ever escaping and the names of those still entombed on the ship.

We must always be vigilant and aware of the things around us. I also thank the MAN above for the things I have and the freedoms we have and ask HIM to watch over us.

We not forget the war effort put forth by the company that produced the cars we love as it was massive in many different ways.

See you in the future as I write about our past
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Leonard, thanks for posting those great ads. It is amazing to me that so many people consider Pearl Harbor to be 'ancient history'. There are millions of Americans still alive today who were affected by that tragedy.

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Thank you for remembering, Leonard. It makes me sad to think that most folks these days either don't see the importance, or don't care- or just were never taught.

I will never forget- and my appreciation for those who ran without hesitation to retaliate with any weaponry still functional, and the heroes who secured victory in the ensuing war, will never wane.

Those were men and women who knew that the only way to answer those who wanted to destroy America was to kick ass and remove any doubt what was the greatest country on the planet- and did so.

As the saying goes- Those who forget the lessons of history are bound to repeat them.

God Bless our heroes in Military Service- and God Bless America.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

YEP. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thank you for posting. I may be young, but I respect the significance of this day. One thing I try to do every December the seventh, is listen to the radio broadcast that FDR gave in response to the attack on Pearl Harbor.

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Comment

I've mentioned this before, but in keeping with this thread's focus AND the recent thread about body tags....

I acquired a body tag for a '42 President awhile back. The moment it slid from the envelope it arrived in, I noticed something distinctively different about it. Unlike every other body tag I've ever fondled, this one was thinner and stiffer. A magnet proved it was steel instead of the soft zinc material most of these tags are made from.
              I wrote Mr. Quinn to ask if he'd ever noticed such a difference and he allowed as how he hadn't. We agreed it was probably a result of strategically important metals (like chrome) being shunted to the war effort.

Just to pin down the date that this particular President had been built, Richard looked up it's production order. It made me stop and try to visualize what the buzz on the production line might have been as this particular car made it's way along. You see, it's assembly date was December 8th of 1941.
              Wonder how many guys were down at some recruiting office instead of at their assigned station on the production line?[?]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thank you for the ads Leonard,
                I noticed on CBS Sunday morning this morning they made no mention of the significance of the date as far as the attack on Pearl Harbor. The 'cover story' was about the military 'stop loss' program and how some soldiers had to stay in country past there time to go home. In the footnote on history segment for this date they discussed that today was the birthday of the founder of Sears and went on to give a brief history of the company. At the end of the program they could have had a camera at the Arizona Memorial and recorded the lack of noise there instead of the wildlife they did show.
                Just an observation on my part.
                God bless all those men that lost their lives that date and for all the men and women that wear the uniform.

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

Interesting Observation, Gary. I bought an alarm clock radio yesterday, and as I was setting the time and tuning the radio, I happened upon an Am Channel that is a FOX affiliate, KSGF, and there was an hourly newcast being delivered. The young lady said that December 7 marked "the attack on Pearl Harbor" and so on, but made absolutely no mention of Japan being the culprit. It amazes Me how they can sanitize the news to be politically correct, even on the fair n' balanced channel. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the news reporter there drives a Hondoo or a Toyodor.

Comment

December 7 is a date too few Americans have any appreciation for anymore. Freedom isn't free...we keep having to relearn that truth.

My Dad lost a cousin in the war. Everyone in my Grandparent's families were never heard from again after the war started...they were in Eastern Europe.

All four of my Mom's brothers served and saw combat...and all four came home. She was very lucky. Her older brother was in the first wave at Omaha Beach and survived, only to be severely wounded a bit later outside of St. Lo. I asked him a few years ago if he saw "Saving Private Ryan"...all he said was "That's just Hollywood". He said nothing more about it and I didn't ask.

We should always remember the sacrifices made by our nation, our citizens and our soldiers, sailors and Marines. I hope December 7 never becomes just another day with no significance.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks Len for posting.I turned on the history channel today expecting to see some observation or stories of Pearl Harbor. Nothing, it was all about the German weirmacht.I remember when Dad was alive we watched a program about the pacific war .It was about Iwo Jima.Tears were streaming down face.I asked what was wrong,he said,nothing I was just reliving those days.I was remembering the stench of burning bodies as we got them out of the tunnels in the hills they were holed up in.I thank God for all who fought and gave their lives and for the ones that returned ho have to relive the memories of war so the rest of us can live our lives in this great nation.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

One year Ago Today I also Lost My Brother so this day in History is forever etched in my Memory. It already was but now it has hit home.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                        1957 Silverhawk
                        1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        1955 President State
                        1957 Golden Hawk
                        Fresno,Ca
                        Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        The Prez 1955 President State
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Many Americans don't take the time to pause and reflect upon our military folks who curently sacrifice so much that we may live in a free country. These are volunteers mind you. And please,never,never forget our past military veterans who fought so valiantly for the good of our country. Many volunteers, your father,my uncle,your grandfather, my neighbor and your brother came to the aid of this country after the empire of Japan enacted it's dirty, cowardly, low life, sneak attack on Peal Harbor. A now not too well remembered day. "infamous". It seems that Dec.7 is becoming a bit too obscure. Garbage pick up day gets more recognition. Some could care less about Dec 7th 1941. Some have heard so little about it that it is meaningless. Some are far removed from any real war time situation. Ignorance can sometimes be bliss. I will never forget because I am from a different generation and mindset. Say a prayer for, or perhaps indulge in a few moments of intense thought about what and who you might be indebted to for living in such a great free country. Aside from the military action over seas, this country is in a financial war with the powers that be. Let us be united Americans once again and through this assemblage do whatever each of us can do as individuals firstly, and then collectively, see what can be done to make the USA financially more fit. Buy American and ask for American manufactured products. The country and job you help save my be your own. jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I woke up this morning realizing the date and its significance. My wife's father was at Clark Field on this date in 1941. He once told me he was about to bite into an ear of corn when the Japs started their bombing. He had no idea what was going on as he ran out of the building. He did figure out what all the trenches they had been digging were for. He later surrendered to the Japs and did the now not so famous and all but forgotten, Bataan Death March. Thanks to his survival I have a wife and two great kids. I often think how one minor detail in his fight for survival would have changed my entire life.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by nels

I woke up this morning realizing the date and its significance. My wife's father was at Clark Field on this date in 1941. He once told me he was about to bite into an ear of corn when the Japs started their bombing. He had no idea what was going on as he ran out of the building. He did figure out what all the trenches they had been digging were for. He later surrendered to the Japs and did the now not so famous and all but forgotten, Bataan Death March. Thanks to his survival I have a wife and two great kids. I often think how one minor detail in his fight for survival would have changed my entire life.
                              Wow, Nels; what a report. I would like to have heard him tell the tale.

Related story: Indiana State Highway 38 is only about 12 miles long. It runs southwest from Lafayette IN to U.S. 421. The biggest town on 38 is the small town of Dayton [IN].

State Road 38 was named The Bataan Memorial Highway after WWII in memory of United States soldiers who lost their lives on that death march; certainly appropriate.

Or it was for awhile.

In the 1980s, various state leaders around the country were scrambling to attract Japanese-based auto manufacturing plants. (I guess they still are, for that matter...) Indiana Lt. Gov. Robert Orr landed the joint Subaru-Isuzu Manufacturing Facility for Lafayette, IN, but it is actually closer to Dayton, right on State Road 38 between Dayton and Lafayette, easily visible from Interstate 65 at the State Road 38 Exit.

At the time, there was considerable, ahem, "cultural clash" when Japanese business types were shown the proposed site and were driven past highway signs proclaiming the highway as The Bataan Memorial Highway. Oops.

Predictably and sadly, the signs came down for awhile. Being as this is Indiana, though, cooler heads with common sense and respect prevailed: The road is again identified with new signs as The Bataan Memorial Highway and the Subaru/Isuzu plant is located thereon.[8D] BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X