Early '63 Avanti Front Turn Lamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early '63 Avanti Front Turn Lamps

I know that the front turn lamps were changed over to larger ones sometime during production in '63.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is supposed to be on an early '63? Were cast housings used like those found on late '63-'64 models or did they just use lenses & gaskets with a socket mounted in the body?

I'm have no idea if mine are missing, or if there were ever any to begin with.

A while back I purchased a pair from a vendor that were supposed to be for a '63 and they were too large. I have two different sized sets of lenses and since the body was repainted, I'm not sure what if any mounting holes there should be or where they should be located.

Thanks!

My Avanti (1499) has a fibreglass housing cast into the inner fender to house the lamp socket with lenses and gaskets as you describe.
    SI has the housing listed (800734)in there catalogue.
    pb

Comment

Thanks 63R2. That confirms what I suspected -that early '63 Avanti's do not have actual chromed metal castings that bolt into the body pocket, but rather a socket mounted into the pocket which is sealed with a gasket and lense.

Comment

For what it's worth, so does my car...a mid-year 63.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I believe all "63" Avantis have a resin cast housing bonded to the respective fibreglass panel surfaces. It can be removed or debonded with some difficulty. I had to do that to correct position error due to poor body repair work performed years earlier. The SI part 800734 is simply a blank polymer casting that requires considerable fabrication and massaging. I elected to not use it and removed the original unit and reshaped the body to correct dimensions and profile.

Comment

This is from the parts book and shows the difference between the two housings. Hope this helps.

Bob Langer
            Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
            Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Thanks guys. Just happy to know I'm not missing parts that might be impossible to find for my Avanti 63R3246.

That diagram pretty much explains it, but I wonder why they switched? Certainly the chrome housing add a bit of bling, but I can't help but wonder what else might have factored into the design change.

I personally like the look of the early smaller turn lamps -they are bit better proportioned to the front end of the car.

Comment

I wonder what parking lamps S/N 4892 received.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I wonder what parking lamps S/N 4892 received.
                  From the article by Fred Fox in the October,1987 issue of Turning Wheels about the 1964 Avanti. It should be noted that when the Parts Catalog says "after serial number ____," the change started with the serial number listed and not the one after it.

Bob Langer
                  Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                  Glenshaw,PA

Comment

The later parking lamp was a more simple design in that it had only one lens, this was during a time when some states mandated amber lenes while others called for amber bulbs. Also, it is possible that adding the fiberglass pocket for the parking lamp added additional labor (labour for the former british areas...LOL) & was no doubt cheaper to have a pre-assembled lamp from a vendor rather than have to glue ith pocket in, finish it off, paint & assemble.

60 Lark convertible
                    61 Champ
                    62 Daytona convertible
                    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2)
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

The later parking lamp was a more simple design in that it had only one lens, this was during a time when some states mandated amber lenes while others called for amber bulbs. Also, it is possible that adding the fiberglass pocket for the parking lamp added additional labor (labour for the former british areas...LOL) & was no doubt cheaper to have a pre-assembled lamp from a vendor rather than have to glue ith pocket in, finish it off, paint & assemble.

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                      Warren - Some really trivial nitpicks, just for historical accuracy:
                      1. The Federal rule required amber parking lights on 63 and later models. In some states, inspection stations and/or police interpreted that to mean that amber lenses were required, and that amber bulbs behind clear lenses didn't qualify. I recall that Stude issued a service letter announcing the availability of amber lenses for 64 Lark-types to solve this problem. The Feds later amended the reg to allow either amber bulbs or amber lenses.
                      2. The US could be considered to be a "former British area".

Skip Lackie
                      Washington DC
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip,

do you have a copy of that letter? My recollection is the same as yours but Daniel Stern and I have had a long-standing friendly disagreement about the subject. I've attempted to find that letter on the CD's I got from Ray and have been unable to find it. IF it's one of the ones scanned and on the CDs a simple date/number would be helpful.

thanks

Nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Skip,

do you have a copy of that letter? My recollection is the same as yours but Daniel Stern and I have had a long-standing friendly disagreement about the subject. I've attempted to find that letter on the CD's I got from Ray and have been unable to find it. IF it's one of the ones scanned and on the CDs a simple date/number would be helpful.

thanks

Nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          Lemme look.

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

My scanner is inoperative, and my new one is still in the box waiting for me to reconfigure my home office, so I can't scan it. But here is an excerpt:
                            Service Letter J-1964-7 of April 9, 1964

REVISED FRONT PARKING AND DIRECTIONAL LENSES - 1964 MODEL PASSENGER CARS
                            In order to conform to certain state regulations, the front parking and directional light lenses have been changed from clear to amber color on 1964 model passenger cars effective with serial numbers C-100789 and C-500845. At the same time, the color of the bulb has been changed from amber color to clear.

In certain states, where periodic vehicle inspection regulations are in effect (New York, New Jersy, Pennsylvania, Virginia, California, and District of Columbia), you may occasionally have a car refused an inspection ticker because of the clear lenses. Where this occurs, you should proceed immediately to replace the clear lenses with the amber lenses and replace the amber bulbs with clear bulbs, using the part numbers listed below:
                            1360694 Parking and Directional Lamp Lens - Right
                            1360695 Parking and Directional Lamp Lens - Left
                            G-454645 Parking and Directional Lamp Bulb

On Avanti models, the amber lenses and clear bulbs are available under part numbers:
                            1360697 Parking and Directional Lamp Lens
                            G-454645 Parking and Directional Lamp Bulb

CAUTION: An amber lens and an amber bulb should not be used together.

Skip Lackie
                            Washington DC
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip, or anyone else that has a set... now I know why I couldn't find it! That one letter is missing from the CD I got from Ray; it jumps from J-1964-6 to J-1964-8. If you remember when you get your stuff set up, or if anyone else has a copy of this letter, if you wouldn't mind scanning it for me I'd be quite grateful (and send Ray a copy as well.)

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                              X