This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story of Rose, the Daytona

I first bought a 60,000 mile, 64 Rose Mist 64 Daytona (aka Rose) in the fall of 2002 at Reedsville. I bought her Thursday afternoon for $2300 and resold it Friday morning for a small profit. The new owner wanted to swap in a R2 and as he drove off I thought that would be the last I saw of the car.

Fast forward to last year when I saw it listed on ebay. The new owner had tuned it up, did the front brakes, power steering hoses and decided against trying to find a R2 for the car. I won the bidding for $3050 and had it delivered to York. The starter motor took a dump on the way and N8 installed a new one at York, but we decided it was not ready for the drive home and left it with a friend to deliver later. Turned out it took him six months to haul the car down to me a few weeks back.
    Rose must have been happy to be in my garage because she has been a dream to work on, no rusty bolts, lost parts or other grief. I buffed out the paint, installed rear brakes, gas shocks, a battery and odds and ends. The car had been driven less then a 1000 miles in the last 10 years and seemed happy to be on the road again. I took it for a 50 mile test run and the car just seemed to repair itself as I went. The square tires smoothed out, as did the grabby brakes, even the accelerator pump started pumping. Some cars just talk to me, and Rose is one that did, Since she's been so good to me, I'm spending money I normally would not. I treated Rose to a new pair of roof flags, bought some touch up paint, and might even detail under the hood.

Here's Rose so far:

JDP
    Arnold Md.
    Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Lark 2 dr.
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk
    52 Starlight
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    JDP Maryland

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I first bought a 60,000 mile, 64 Rose Mist 64 Daytona (aka Rose) in the fall of 2002 at Reedsville. I bought her Thursday afternoon for $2300 and resold it Friday morning for a small profit. The new owner wanted to swap in a R2 and as he drove off I thought that would be the last I saw of the car.

Fast forward to last year when I saw it listed on ebay. The new owner had tuned it up, did the front brakes, power steering hoses and decided against trying to find a R2 for the car. I won the bidding for $3050 and had it delivered to York. The starter motor took a dump on the way and N8 installed a new one at York, but we decided it was not ready for the drive home and left it with a friend to deliver later. Turned out it took him six months to haul the car down to me a few weeks back.
    Rose must have been happy to be in my garage because she has been a dream to work on, no rusty bolts, lost parts or other grief. I buffed out the paint, installed rear brakes, gas shocks, a battery and odds and ends. The car had been driven less then a 1000 miles in the last 10 years and seemed happy to be on the road again. I took it for a 50 mile test run and the car just seemed to repair itself as I went. The square tires smoothed out, as did the grabby brakes, even the accelerator pump started pumping. Some cars just talk to me, and Rose is one that did, Since she's been so good to me, I'm spending money I normally would not. I treated Rose to a new pair of roof flags, bought some touch up paint, and might even detail under the hood.

Here's Rose so far:

JDP
    Arnold Md.
    Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Lark 2 dr.
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk
    52 Starlight
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    A truly lovely car John, maybe you should keep it???

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Here's Rose so far:

JDP
      Arnold Md.
      Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 Daytona HT
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      63 Avanti R1/AC
      63 Lark 2 dr.
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Hawk
      52 Starlight
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      A truly lovely car John, maybe you should keep it???

John Clements
      Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
      Lockleys South Australia
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I try and keep two or three, but this one will go to a new home.

JDP
        Arnold Md.
        Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Avanti R1/AC
        63 Lark 2 dr.
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Hawk
        52 Starlight
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I try and keep two or three, but this one will go to a new home.

JDP
          Arnold Md.
          Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 Avanti R1/AC
          63 Lark 2 dr.
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Hawk
          52 Starlight
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Oh My! What a NICE car!

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
            http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Oh My! What a NICE car!

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
              http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

I agree, I thought about buying it when it showed up at York but decided it was a little too much of a project for me (I really only can do one project car at one time) however it would have taken very little to make that into a real nice driver - as JP has proven...

Were it my car I'd be tempted to do some bodywork and paint to it just to make it PERFECT, which is why I didn't buy it (because I hate bodywork)

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I agree, I thought about buying it when it showed up at York but decided it was a little too much of a project for me (I really only can do one project car at one time) however it would have taken very little to make that into a real nice driver - as JP has proven...

Were it my car I'd be tempted to do some bodywork and paint to it just to make it PERFECT, which is why I didn't buy it (because I hate bodywork)

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

She's pretty. Let's hope she finds a loving home next go-round.[:X]

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

She's pretty. Let's hope she finds a loving home next go-round.[:X]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Nice car JP. Ya know, I think this is about the nicest you've ever said about one of your cars! Sounds like you want to keep this one for a while. [8]

What's that under the dash? Tissue despenser?

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, Georgia
                        '59 Scotsman PU
                        '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Nice car JP. Ya know, I think this is about the nicest you've ever said about one of your cars! Sounds like you want to keep this one for a while. [8]

What's that under the dash? Tissue despenser?

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, Georgia
                          '59 Scotsman PU
                          '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

It's a cassette player under the dash. It has some rust blisters at the very bottom of the front fenders, I'd just install new ones from SASCO because I hate bodywork too.

JDP
                            Arnold Md.
                            Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 Daytona HT
                            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                            63 Avanti R1/AC
                            63 Lark 2 dr.
                            62 Lark 2 door
                            60 Hawk
                            52 Starlight
                            52 Starliner
                            51 Commander
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

It's a cassette player under the dash. It has some rust blisters at the very bottom of the front fenders, I'd just install new ones from SASCO because I hate bodywork too.

JDP
                              Arnold Md.
                              Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 Daytona HT
                              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                              63 Avanti R1/AC
                              63 Lark 2 dr.
                              62 Lark 2 door
                              60 Hawk
                              52 Starlight
                              52 Starliner