Golden Hawk/Packard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Hawk/Packard

I'm wondering if there ever was a factory Golden Hawk with the Packard motor in it built on the "C" body. I have only found pics of hardtops.
    Also,if it was built, did it have a supercharger?If no supercharger, than how many carbs?

Greg

Turbocharging a flathead six Yes, you can double the horsepower of a little 169 cubic inch Studebaker motor by adding a junkyard turbo! Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.

http://turbostude.com/Tribaker (LP three-wheeler project)

No.

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

alternatively, could a non-golden hawk be ordered with a packard motor between 56'-58'?
      thanks

Greg

Turbocharging a flathead six Yes, you can double the horsepower of a little 169 cubic inch Studebaker motor by adding a junkyard turbo! Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.

Comment

As Richard simply stated, "No", but I will elaborate.
        Only 1956 Golden Hawks had the Packard design engine. No 1956 Golden Hawks had a supercharger. All 1957 and 1958 Golden Hawks had a 289 cubic inch Studebaker engine with a supercharger. All Golden Hawks were K body cars (no C body). All Golden Hawks had only one carb. (four barrel in 1956 and two barrel in 1957-1958).
        What I have stated is how Studebaker built them. Of course, there have been customs made up of all sorts. For example, recently I saw a 1955 Speedster "clone" made using a C body and I have seen a 1956 Golden Hawk with a Packard dual four barrel carb. set up.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Also, NO, to your alternate question.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response guys. I was trying to determine if there was a stone unturned which might put another Stude salt record on the books....

Greg

Comment

I know that Greg's question was directed more towards '56s~
              but what do you think about '57 [?] [?] [?]

Many cool '57 sedans and wagons were built, so says the TW article in August 1993.
              We know that if you ORDERED it, you could get the motor you wanted in the car you wanted- i.e. those supercharged "Commander" police cars, 289 powered Scotsman wagons and the like.

Do you think if you begged them long and hard enough~
              Stude would build the Hawk in question... [?] [?] [?]
              If they didn't, do you think a dealer would?

I know I do!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
              San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
              San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
              '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
              '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
              '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
              '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I would bet under the right circumstances that you could get just about anything. Any if the dealer were smart, he'd definitely build it if the factory wouldn't. Look at all the Yenko, Berger and Royal cars built for a market GM ignored. Look at all the R3 engines that were bought as crate engines.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I very much doubt that the Studebaker factory would have accepted the order for, or have built such a vehicle, unless the request had came from such a high company executive that the order could not be refused.
                  Reason being that producing the '56 Golden Hawk entailed much more than just simply swapping in the big Packard engine, there were many other engineering modifications and changes made from the other "lesser" Hawks. If such vehicle had been put together on a lesser chassis, it would have emerged as a "hand built" from Engineering, rather than have ever rolled off of the Production line.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the foundry for the Packard 352 was in Detroit and that was closed in 1956. So unless a crate 352 was available, no "special order" '57 or '58 could possibly have been built.

Comment

FWIW, Studebaker-Packard stocked Packard V8s for warranty and then replacement up into the 1960s. As late as 1963, SASCO stocked complete, ready-to-run Packard V8s retail for $495. S-P finally sold hundreds of leftovers to Stokes Marine for boat conversions.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

[size=4][font=Comic Sans MS][b]I know that Greg's question was directed more towards '56s~
                        but what do you think about '57 [?] [?] [?]

Many cool '57 sedans and wagons were built, so says the TW article in August 1993.
                        We know that if you ORDERED it, you could get the motor you wanted in the car you wanted- i.e. those supercharged "Commander" police cars, 289 powered Scotsman wagons and the like.

Do you think if you begged them long and hard enough~
                        Stude would build the Hawk in question... [?] [?] [?]

Indeed, Dave. That's how I would have answered the question.[^] It is correct, no C-body '57 were ordered with a supercharged 289, but a customer could have twisted the dealer's arm hard enough and crossed his palm with enough $$$ to ORDER it for him. Evidence has proven Studebaker would have built it. The later R2 Champs are a good example.

Craig

Comment

To race on the salt in a production class, I would need to somehow document that the factory did indeed put the Packard motor in a C body, and then do some cosmetics to make our car into a 56'. The 56' is ugly (aerodynamically) compared to our present 53' configuration. Running the Packard in our car might be feasable, but only for grins and to acquire the title of "World's Fastest Packard v8", as the class it would be in is likely to be B/GC with a record now of over 230mph. To even run at Speedweek, we would need to add, at a minimum, a parachute and more fire fighting gear, even though I doubt the car could go over 165 or so. It would do better at the USFRA event in September which would allow it to run for speed alone, with entry into the 150mph club, which is open to street cars with appropriate safety gear (which we already have in spades). A real Golden Hawk with the hot Packard motor could run at Speedweek, but would be competing against much newer,more well developed cars. A 57' would be competing against R2 Avantis.....

Greg

Comment

Working...
                          X