Challenger or Commander ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenger or Commander ?

After the South Bend plant closed Studebaker Canada put Daytona interiors in their cheaper model 2d sedans , was it the Commander or the Challenger? If someone has pics of one of these it would be appreciated .

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

I think I found my answer ...it was a '64 Commander "special" , came with Daytona interior and also the dual headlights. Would still like to see any pics of these if someone has them.

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

After the South Bend plant closed Studebaker Canada put Daytona interiors in their cheaper model 2d sedans , was it the Commander or the Challenger? If someone has pics of one of these it would be appreciated .
      Challengers were never made or sold in Canada. After January 1st, 1964, there was a new model called the Commander Special which had the Daytona interior, complete with carpeting and dual headlights as standard.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig...do you have any idea how many of these were made?

1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks Craig...do you have any idea how many of these were made?

I have seen three, personally. Two sixes and a V8. I'm not sure how many were made, but Art might have those figures.

Craig

Comment

I've only seen one and that was in Mass. a couple years ago , it was a red one in very nice shape .Been kind of looking for one ever since .[]

1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Comment

The Commander Special option was a good value: It listed at $130. (Page 10, February 1993 Turning Wheels.)

Chances are, it was preparing dealers for the 1965 Daytona Sport Sedan, when a true 2-door hardtop would no longer be available. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Chances are, it was preparing dealers for the 1965 Daytona Sport Sedan, when a true 2-door hardtop would no longer be available. BP
                I would also theorize that they were overstocked on 2 door Daytona door panels and carpets, and came up with this model to get rid of them.

Craig

Comment

You've certainly got a viable theory, there, Craig. Personally, I've never come up with what I considered to be a good reason why they offered that model. I agree; maybe they had too many Daytona hardtop interior trim pieces lying around.

Or could an alternate possibility have been in play? Perhaps they had too few certain J-body components and didn't want to make any more of those pieces, knowing they'd discontinue J and L bodies at the end of the 1964 run, so they started prepping people for a deluxe F body?

It would be interesting to know for sure why the Commander Special was offered. It just didn't seem to make any sense. One way or another, it may well have had something to do with either a surplus or a shortage of certain components. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Is there anyway of finding out how many they made?
                    Maybe this model would be a good candidate for a roster ?

1960 Champ
                    1964 Daytona HT
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh, what the heck. Let's ask about the holy grail. Do you think there was any chance one of those Commander Specials made it out of Hamilton with 'R' power? I would think it would be possible with Studebaker still using their own engines for the '64 model year. Any thoughts?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I was under the impression that no R engines were used after South bend closed ...but maybe that was only SC engines...I'm sure someone will enlighten us with the facts

1960 Champ
                        1964 Daytona HT
                        sigpic

Comment

The engine foundry kept going a short while after the car plant shut down (of course the car plant had been sort of on hiatus even before the December '63 closing). I'd always heard though that no Hamilton cars were R-engined...? (Not counting recent restorations in that vein of course, like Barry's lovely Hamilton '64 R1 HT.)

Bob, you planning on making me covet yet another vehicle of yours?

S.

Comment

Is there anyway of finding out how many they made?
                            Maybe this model would be a good candidate for a roster ?
                            The last roster keeper for the Commander Special was Randall Riddle in WA.

Craig

Comment

Does Randle fequent this forum ?
                              And Steve you have to remember Barry's HT is a clone

1960 Champ
                              1964 Daytona HT
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X