matching numbers, does it matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matching numbers, does it matter

I have a 1959 Studebaker pickup with a good running 289. I also have the matching number 289 that came out of it. It needs alot of work. Should I rebuild it and install it or just leave it as is,

There were/are probably 20 individual Studebakers from each year that are/were significant enough (rarity/option package/noteriety/famous owner) to warrant matching serial numbers.
    This is a 'drivers club', so most here will tell you to fix your brakes, put good tires on it, and drive it as much as you can...
    (Especially next July 4th![])
    Hope the info helps..
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by TMAN0950

I have a 1959 Studebaker pickup with a good running 289. I also have the matching number 289 that came out of it. It needs alot of work. Should I rebuild it and install it or just leave it as is,
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What Jeff said. If you have the room to store the original engine, keep it as a spare. You can rebuild it after you retire, or include it if you ever sell the truck to someone who cares about matching numbers. Otherwise, enjoy what you have.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I have a similar thread "Matching Numbers" on 10 November and received excellent replies. I too have a spare engine. The comment that SDC is a drivers club and not a collector's club explains why this site is so valuable. Although we like to get cars as "correct" as is practicable, the joy I receive when I drive it and someone wants to talks is immeasurable. However, it would be nice if instead of "My father or grandfather used to drive one" it would be nice if someone said, "my kid has always wanted a Studebaker" I was one of those kids so many years ago

Comment

Funny you should ask since the boys at Omaha 2006 checked the production order on my car during judging. And then there's the '45' tag. I think someone from Arizona dreamed that one up.

Claude Chmielewski
          Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
          47 M-16 Truck
          62 GT Hawk
          63 Lark
          64 Commander Wagonaire
          50 Champion Regal (parts car)
          [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
          1936 Dictator
          1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
          1953 Commander Regal HT
          1953 2R5 Pickup
          1947 M16 Truck
          1960 Lark VIII Convertible
          1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
          1962 Champ 7E5 no box
          1962 GT Hawk
          1963 Lark VI 4 dr
          1963 GT Hawk R2
          1964 Daytona Convertible
          1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Here's that link:
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=23870

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

I have a similar thread "Matching Numbers" on 10 November and received excellent replies. <snip>

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

Judges will do that when it comes to the lower production cars, especially if there are 2 present at the show. Did they get you because it was missing? explain more...
              Yes I have a TT axle and it was missing. I believe he was a new judge and thought that tag was really important. All it designates is the ramp angle in the TT case. It can be 45 or 30 - meaning degrees. Maybe the guy who made such a big deal out of nothing can fess up. I had never before seen judges look at production orders at a Studebaker show.

Claude Chmielewski
              Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
              47 M-16 Truck
              62 GT Hawk
              63 Lark
              64 Commander Wagonaire
              50 Champion Regal (parts car)
              [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
              1936 Dictator
              1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
              1953 Commander Regal HT
              1953 2R5 Pickup
              1947 M16 Truck
              1960 Lark VIII Convertible
              1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
              1962 Champ 7E5 no box
              1962 GT Hawk
              1963 Lark VI 4 dr
              1963 GT Hawk R2
              1964 Daytona Convertible
              1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

IIRC, the tag numbers refer to the number of teeth on the pinion, and the number of teeth on the ring gear.
                Divide the two numbers and you have the rear end ratio...
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studeski
                Yes I have a TT axle and it was missing. I believe he was a new judge and thought that tag was really important. All it designates is the ramp angle in the TT case. It can be 45 or 30 - meaning degrees. Maybe the guy who made such a big deal out of nothing can fess up. I had never before seen judges look at production orders at a Studebaker show.

Jeff

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeski
                  I believe he was a new judge...
                  I'd say well over half of judges at SDC International meets are "new judges". Keep in mind that the "judges" are not a group of experts who travel from show to show, year to year and know all and see all. They are club members who volunteer to do the best they can with limited guidance and often limited knowledge and experience. What is important to one judge in one class at a meet is probably not important to another judge in another class at the same meet or in the same class at a different meet.

If there are only a few cars in a class, the judges will generally spend a lot of time on each car which can result in more "gigs" than a class with a lot of cars where even 10 minutes per car will result in a 10 hour day for the judges in that team.

Meet to meet and class to class, judging and scores can and will be VERY different. I personally can't see any way around this.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Jeff, you are referring to the Tag at 7:00 (left side) and Claude is referring to the one on the RIGHT side at 4:00 on TT Axles that indicate the ramp angle.

Apparently they saw the Prod. Order had a TT and or the TT Emblem, and expected to see a TT, or 45,B,or C etc. tag on the axle! [:0]

Goes to show ya, Prod. Orders are neat, but do not gain any points, but can BITE you! Be safe, remove the Prod. Order for judging!

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

the tag numbers refer to the number of teeth on the pinion, and the number of teeth on the ring gear.
                    Divide the two numbers and you have the rear end ratio...
                    Jeff

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you have a Jet Thrust powered Lark or Hawk it is nice to have the JT or JTS number on the block in my opinion.

1957 Packard Clipper
                      1958 Golden Hawk
                      1963 Daytona Convertible
                      1963 R2 Daytona
                      1963 R2 GT Hawk
                      1963 R1 Wagonaire
                      1963 R4 Avanti
                      1964 Champ
                      1966 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

If you have a Jet Thrust powered Lark or Hawk it is nice to have the JT or JTS number on the block in my opinion.

It's nice to have one of those blocks in ANY Studebaker!! Even a lowly '56 Champion 2dr sedan!

Comment

Almost as good as the R4 set up and the set of Halibrands you sold me back in 2004 Allan!!

1957 Packard Clipper
                          1958 Golden Hawk
                          1963 Daytona Convertible
                          1963 R2 Daytona
                          1963 R2 GT Hawk
                          1963 R1 Wagonaire
                          1963 R4 Avanti
                          1964 Champ
                          1966 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

Almost as good as the R4 set up and the set of Halibrands you sold me back in 2004 Allan!!

1957 Packard Clipper
                            1958 Golden Hawk
                            1963 Daytona Convertible
                            1963 R2 Daytona
                            1963 R2 GT Hawk
                            1963 R1 Wagonaire
                            1963 R4 Avanti
                            1964 Champ
                            1966 Cruiser
                            So you are the guy I GAVE that stuff to! LOL!

Comment

quote:
                              It better!! I have a stripped block and if the numbers weren't there it would make things just a shy more entertaining to identify [}]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X