Bob's CA article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob's CA article

Thoroughly enjoyed the article...to me, the photographic stars of that article are Nelson Bove's Super Hawk R2 and R3 Commander. (I admit, being born in '58, to liking '62-66 Studes the best, focusing on '63 and '64's!).

I have only ever seen two Super Hawks, and both were the rare Super Red.

That Commander is downright drool-worthy! I wish Nelson could/would post the story about that car again; how he found it, history of the car, original owner, etc. etc.

Another neat car photographed for that article is the Champagne Gold '63 R2 Daytona with red interior and white inserts. I think that's a sharp combination. I remember that car being on the cover of the Feb. '86 TW and also on a cover of Cars and Parts. It had been owned by a gentleman named John Isom who bought it new in Phoenix in June '64 and had over the years purchased practically every NOS part available, to have on-hand. The car's now in Ohio I see, but I have no idea where. I'd sure like to see it up close, even with the fender badges a little too high and the bumper guards off where they should be, and having '62 wheel covers (which in all reality, do look better than the '63 covers!).

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Years ago, I bought some trim/parts off John Isom (Is that the correct spelling?), in California, for my 1963 Daytona Skytop hardtop.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Years ago, I bought some trim/parts off John Isom (Is that the correct spelling?), in California, for my 1963 Daytona Skytop hardtop.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      I checked the Feb. '86 TW again. It's spelled "Isom" there. Sharp car.

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Yes, Isom is the correct spelling.

Did anyone notice the most glaring error (of several) in the caption for that car's photos? They said the speedometer was right in front of the driver and the tachometer was off to the right. Wrong for 1963; correct for 1964.

But if you take a magnifying glass and look at the car's instrument panel in the photo (lower right; Page 65), the speedometer and tachometer are in the correct place for 1963. The car is right but the caption is wrong! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
        X